I shimmie

Dawnie

RE: Light Preference?

WHen I am on the highway I noticed when I hit a bump or even in the streets for that matter going at like 40 miles a hour and I hit a bump the whole Jeep shimmies kinda not up and down side to side someone said I may need shocks - being as how I am broke I don't wanna buy them for nothing if thats not the problem - what do u all think?

hmm...almost ready to start...but forgot a few things...

Do you still have the front and rear trac-bars hooked up?

I used to shimmie, too, but when I got married my wife made me quit......

RE: nutter bypass...

Dawnie, it sounds to me like you may have a couple of problems. "Bumpsteer" and "Death wobble". They sound worse than they are. You may have one or both contributing to your shimmy.

First off, do you have a lift?

"Death wobble" is usually caused by your front end being justified to one side, or "Toe in" alignment problems. ("Toe in", means just that, your tires are pointed inward)
The trackbar, If adjustable, can fix the first problem. The "Toe in" is usually the result of a) bad alignment, or b) lifting the vehicle, or c) both.
I don't recall if you have a lifted vehicle, if not, then it's doubtful your trackbar has anything to do with it.

Death wobble
might also occur with age, when you bushings and bolts loosen or wear out, and you generally have a less sturdy front end.

"Bumpsteer" is the tendency of a vehicle to suddenly veer or swerve to one side when hitting a bump or dip in the road. The condition is caused by uneven toe changes that occur as a result of the steering linkage or rack not being parallel with the road surface. If you can feel a lot of reaction in your steering wheel when you hit small road bumps or holes then this maybe your problem.

So, here's what IMO it sounds like is happening:
You have bumpsteer, and when you hit a bump, it causes a chain reaction in which your bad alignment starts the wobble.

In my case, I had toe-in, and when I hit a bump, the tire lost enough contact with the pavement that when it landed it went inward (Because of the toe in). Then the other side, due to the shake, reacted equally, and bounced inward as well. After awhile, it builds momentum and the wobble gets worse.

To put it simply, get an alignment, and if that doesn't cure it, you may have bigger issues, but certainly curable ones. A good front end shop should be able to diagnose it if they are worth a crap.

Good Luck!!

RE: The REAL Question.

How many miles are on it? Have you whacked a curb or something lately that may have thrown it out of alignment?

I'd be willing to bet that you just need a front end alignment.

RE: Satellite Plug and Play Tuners - do they work OK?

TwistedCopper said:
How many miles are on it? Have you whacked a curb or something lately that may have thrown it out of alignment?

That's a very sexist question. Are you implying women whack curbs?

RE: Re: RE: I shimmie

As for your trackbar, the bushings are just standard rubber bushings, not like a heim or johnny joint so it is not likely that it is worn.

For your front end to shake after hitting a bump your problem is alignment (as Mingez indicated this is called death wobble).

If it didn't do it when you bought it and it started suddenly then something has thrown your alignment out (offroading, hitting something, or maybe letting someone else drive your Jeep :shock: )

RE: hard top for 95 yj

LMAOOOO you guys are too much !
I have not hit any curbs or anything lately lol .. so there goes the women/curb theory, Well from reading Mingez's post (TY by the way)I think it may be the alignment... It doesn't have a lift on it (I wish) and it does shimmie (lol) when I hot ANY bump or lift in the road I noticed it alot when I hit those big metal plates you can't avoid on the hwy the whole jeeps gets wacked out of control. So I need to get that looked at .. and I also need to get this stammering problem I have in the morning looked at too where it just shuts off and idols high and low - someone told me it may be the mapping system and that was easy to fix... I guess slowly I can this lil mama back in shape.
It is a 95 w/ 75,000 miles I know someone asked ...I have to wait til i have money to get it looked at but at least now I am not so concerned my wheels are going to pop off.

When hitting a bump, does it just jerk the wheel to one side or does it start wobbling like crazy until you slow down a bit?

The first one would be bump steer, the second would be the imfamous death wobble.

I'm not sexist damnit! I'm cool with women driving...

It's the voting and being able to work that I don't like. I mean they do have to get to the grocery store don't they?

Just kidding! Hey they threw in the female thing not me ;)

TwistedCopper said:
I mean they do have to get to the grocery store don't they?

You mean, inspite of the fact that you drive a grocery getter you still make the wife drive it to get the actual groceries??!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

RE: Cylinder Heads

mingez said:
TwistedCopper said:
I mean they do have to get to the grocery store don't they?

You mean, inspite of the fact that you drive a grocery getter you still make the wife drive it to get the actual groceries??!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

There's no room for groceries in that thing! Tools, full size spare, etc.

If you knew my wife, you'd know I don't make her do anything :lol:

Back