Hub of hell!

j2thesea

Hi, I'm a pretty new Jeep owner and new to this forum. I started hearing a clicking sound from my front left wheel-well about a week ago. I decided to pull the wheel apart to investigate. I found that the u joint was totally destroyed. I've taken the breaks off, removed the hub bolts and spindle bolt, but cannot get the hub off. I've used liquid wrench, wooden mallets and every manner of brute force to no avail. I'm afraid I'm gonna tear up the wheel bearings if I'm too hard on it. I've heard off a trick with a bolt between the outer yoke and the frame. Does anyone have any suggestions at all as to how to get the hub off?

Install the bolts a few threads and use an old diff pin or socket on the bolt between the housing. Have someone turn the wheel with it running it will push right out. Just be careful that you don't pinch your finger.

I back the 3 hub bolts out 1/8" at a time and tap them toward the knuckle after protecting the bolt head with a socket. Do this 1/8" at a time and the knuckle will come right out.

You can also do as mentioned above, back the bolts out 1/8" or 1/4" and place a socket over the bolt head. Turn the steering until the socket presses against the inner C, forcing the hub out of the knuckle.

you can also use a bearing puller you can rent or borrow at most auto parts places.

Ive been lucky I guess in that both mine came out with light tapping with a mallet, a friend though had to use a puller,
this is the one he used

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Last edited:
Do not use a puller unless you leave the axle nut attached. Using a puller with the axle nut removed will likely pull the hub apart, leaving half attached to the knuckle.

Thanks guys, very helpful. I snapped one of the hub bolts on the way back in WTF? Are two bolts and the spindle nut enough for casual driving? Till I can drill it out? Any thoughts?

Sounds kinda scary. I'm going to have to say no. Can you get vise grips on the other side of it. How much is sticking out. Those puppy's are big bolts and are usually only torqued to 40- 50 ft lbs.

Fork out the dough for a new hub... And a new grade 8 bolt!! Your best bet!! And lots and lots of never seize !! Everywhere!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPod touch using Jeepz

Back