How to tow my YJ

osito129

What is the best way to tow my YJ behind my 97 GC (5.2l)? I am getting out of the Army soon and will be moving back to Washington state from Virginia, so I want to make sure I do this the best way for both Jeeps. I have looked into tow bars and have also found a tow dolly in the paper for $500. I don't mind spending the extra for the dolly if this is the best way to do it since my dad says he may be interested in it after I am done with it. I have heard pros and cons on tow bars but it seems this might cause the least economical damage. So what have you guys used? Also what will I need to do to the YJ to tow it? I have never towed without a flat bed trailer before so its all new to me. Thanks in advance.
-Chris

I would say Towbar. You can rent them at a U-Haul or you can buy it to tow your YJ later down the road. just put that X-fer case in neutral and the shifter in second and you are set to tow.

Most people recommend againt towing with a dolly, even the owner's manual. It can be done and I've done it, but I unbolted the rear driveshaft and tied it up.

I currently use a towbar to pull my YJ with our TrailBlazer, transfer case in neutral and transmission in 1st as per the owner's manual. Auto's are in park, transfer case in neutral.

The dolly pulls better than the towbar, so it's up to you. The towbar will do fine with smaller tires, but tires larger than the tow vehicle tend to pull the tow vehicle around the highway.

Thanks for the info. It looks like I will probably go with the tow bar. I do have a couple of things I need cleared up though.
Bounty you said you unbolted the drive train when you used dolly but just put the Transfer in neutral and transmission in first with the tow bar. How did that work out for you? I have heard people say that you should still unbolt the drive line, but if I don't have to that makes it that much easier.
The othher thing is do you think I would have much problems with the YJ pulling my GC around since I am running 31" goodyear RT's on the YJ and 30" Kuhmo MTs on the GC?

- Chris

You should be fine with the tires on both rigs being close in size. It's when you got really big meats on the towed vehicle that it becomes somewhat of a problem.

Yes, transfer in neutral and transmission in 1st, no problems whatsoever with leaving the driveline intact. This is recommended by the owner's manual.

Remember to unlock the steering wheel when flat-towing. Walmart has a cheap magnetic light kit you can put on the YJ, along with most farm-stores. Don't forget a safety chain between rigs.

My friend uses his GC to tow his XJ.Just has the tow bar mounted to be removed from the front bumper.Tows pretty good from what I hear.And get the magnet lights from walmart that bounty is talking about.I use them when I flat tow my CJ.And dont worry about the tire differences, my dad has towed his tj on 35's behind our 99 suburban with no problems.

Usually the heavier the tow vehicle (like a 'burb) the better it pulls a vehicle with larger tires without the towed vehicle pushing/pulling while back there. It's when towing with smaller lighter vehicles like a ZJ/WJ/XJ/TrailBlazer that it's critical to keep in mind.

Back