How to align a starter

stripclubgm

So it's been about 10 years since I broke out a wrench. I just replaced my rear main seal and put it all back together to hear the starter "clank" sound as in not engaging. Im sure it's just not aligned correctly on this inline 6 does anyone have any idea how to align it? seems to be flush with block right now.

thanks.

m

There's really not an alignment procedure on an I-6 for the starter. so as long as it's flushed on the mounting surface and the bolts line up then it should be good. Check the starter gear for wear and same with the flywheel gear. Sometimes when the gear has a flat spot, the 2 gears will clash instead or meshing together. On an automatic trans., make sure the flywheel is installed properly.

You need to wiggle it around with the bolts slightly loose to ensure it's all the way in. First make sure you can still turn your motor by hand, then recheck the battery cables and connections (especially the positive at the battery)

You need to wiggle it around with the bolts slightly loose to ensure it's all the way in. First make sure you can still turn your motor by hand, then recheck the battery cables and connections (especially the positive at the battery)

Thanks for the help guys, and it did have something to do with the grounding, lol. 1st I finished up after a long weekend with the kids, 2nd it's been years since I wrenched on it, 3rd I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot. So while laying under the jeep I saw a big wire with a fat round end and screwed it on the starter, and today when I went out and saw the ground from my battery connected to my starter, well you can laugh at my dumb azz now too. All good the how to change a rear main seal page on here was perfectly written, except the part where it takes about 4 hours to get the old gasket off! Thanks again....

Back