How important are military wrapped springs?

TNFISHRMAN

I am considering whether to install a lift kit or do a spring over conversion on my 94 YJ. In looking at the lift kits some springs are military wrapped some are not. How important are military wrapped springs?? I will be doing moderate wheeling ( no major rock crawling here) when I get time to get away and will drive as a second vehicle on the street from time to time. Although this is mainly to be used off-road. Thanks for your time. Lynn

Military wrapped springs will stay together if you break the main leaf because the second leaf is wrapped all the way around the eye also. It's really just a safeguard.
A lot of people like BDS springs because they are reasonably priced, military wrapped, work well in either SOA or SUA and are lifetime warranted. I have never owned any, but several friends do and they seem to ride well and take much abuse. They seem to have a really good reputation.

A military wrap spring won't work in the rear of a YJ on the shackle end unless you have a monster long shackle, otherwise there isn't enough leaf eye to frame clearance for anything other than a single wrap.

Many companies are now selling (mine are Rusty's) springs with a full wrap on the frame end and a 1/2 wrap on the shackle end. Even the 1/2 wrap is a benefit as it supports the main leaf all the way to the spring eye, and the main leaf on a regular spring pack often bends right behind the spring eye.

Rubicon Express makes a sweet set of 1" SOA leaf springs with reverse eyes. The reverse eyes are said to help reduce axlewrap.

Bounty, do I need to change out the rear shackles then or do you know if they come with any kits??
Thanks to all that have replied so far,Lynn

Good point Bounty. I did not know that about the YJ shackle, but it makes sense.
I have run YJ mil-wrapped springs on my CJ but did not use factory shackles.

You would have to run longer rear shackles if the shackle eye is military wrapped. It'd have to be pretty long because the spring eye gets closer to the frame under compression. Better to go with the 1/2 wrap on the shackle end that many manufacturers are going to, or maybe use CJ shackle hangers beneath the frame.

I ran BDS which had mil wraps on both ends. Went to a shackle 1" longer than stock (netted about 1/2" additional lift)and it solved the bumping (okay, slamming) the crossmember. It also helped the driveshaft angle a bit.

I've seen some guys just cut the rear wrap half off so it is like Rusty's or RE's springs.

How important are they? They're not needed, but they are nice insurance though.

Back