Hoping someone can help ASAP!!!!!!

england0602

I just reciently purchased a 94 Grand Chreokee LTD. with the 5.2L. I have a NV/NP 249 transfer and the jeep stays in 4H or AWD. I have only 2 settings, 4H or 4L. My question is when I turn hard Rt. or Lft. the front end binds up and the jeep stops. I have to give it the gas just to try to make it into a parking space or in my drive way. I have been trying to avoid this because I know something is binding up and the last thing I want to do is bust something. I do know it has new front shafts (or what looks like C.V. joints). If I put her in the dirt she turns just fine so I dont think the C.V. joints are binding up. It really feels like the 4wd is not disengaging on the front axle. Has anyone had this problem and can offer any advise?
Thanks,
Steve

Sounds like the transfer case is not allowing the front and rear driveshafts to turn at different rates. There's a differential, clutch, viscous coupling, or something or other in there that allows it to be a full time 4wd rather than a part time. Sounds like its behaving like part time...

how hard would you think it would be to change the coupling? I have been searching in the old posts and have found that I am not the only person this is happining to . I plan on doing a flush on the transfer and both diffs. I am hoping this takes care of the problem. The transfer appears to have been reciently rebuilt as there is writtig on it from a paint marker (N084). I'm hoping it was from someone who knew what they were doing and didn't just finger f#&* my transfer.

Back