Hey Tug,

64Jeeper

The more I see pics of your Jeep, the more it makes me want to "camo" mine. Problem is, I have no clue how to do a camo paint job.

dry oil sump

I use to do alot of modeling in my teens and if you can get the colors its realy just slaping it on in a randum slop. Try to stay away from any patern and it will look best. Maybe even practice on a JEEP model or two untill your happy..Good luck.

I helped camo up a buddies '72 Jeep Commando, not that hard, just stay random and keep the different color sections rather large. Walmart carries the flat camo paint cans. We used tan, olive drab, and black.

If you can find a piece of military clothing it will give you a good idea to go by.

You can do leaf cammo too, just do a black base coat and then mask off with leaves and spray for each color you want to add going from darkest color to lightest. Works really well with long/wide blade grasses, cattails, and deciduous leaves. I usually go with black, dark brown, tan, forest green, and a medium green for colors. Typically you end up with a more professional look than the a random woodland cammo imitation. An easy way to develop the type you want is to snag some large carboard boxes and try different paint/leaf combo's on em.

My favorite is desert camo. I had a friend do it on a bronco. He put a tan base coat and then made some patturns out of thin cardboard. He then placed the cardboard randomly and painted in a few differant colors of darker tans and browns. Make sure you if you use a patturn have 5 or 6 differant ones so It will look better.

I am thinking of going zebra stipes miself. Then I will not feal bad about not fixing the body damage before I paint.

It is ez but you wind up with a lot of coats of pint trying to even out the pattern. That is not a bad thing I guess. Right now I have to much tan but the leaves are a turning and it blends well, in the spring I will add more brown and green. I just grab a can of Krylon camo paint and go to it. the camo just seems to find its own patteren as you go. There are several different camo jobs here in my area and all are different and all look good so just go for it if you dis like it you can just add more to it. tug

Thanks for all the tips guys. I know what I'm doing this winter. :D

One of the easiest ways to do it is the same way we added camo to our gear in sniper school (other than the ghillie suit that is, but even then we had some paint on that too)...

hmm a ghille suit for a Jeep... I wonder... nope getting off track here.

Numerous cans of spray paint in matte (flat) finish and tape off what you don't want paint on (to state the obvious). Then ya just put a light mist/over spray of each color down in a random pattern until you get the coverage you want.

Colors I've used and had a lot of luck with:-

-Olive green
-Forest Green
-Browns and Tans
-Light yellows (look around you, even the grass and stuff has some yellow in it some where)
-Black (but not a lot! nothing in nature is actually black)
-Various shades of grey (and I'm not talking that cheap "urban" wanna-be look here either)
-Even orange or red in limited amounts

All depends on what ya want to look like (or in this case what you'd rather NOT look like) and such...

I've done rifles, gear bags all kinds of things like this and always had a lot of luck with it. We did a friends Bronco a few years ago and it turned out great!. Course he has since repainted it so it was all for nothing but it was fun so that was cool.

Hope this helps,

Greywolf

Back