HELP PLEASE!

mujaman

How do i get a reader's rides albm?

i took my jeep to the shop last night to have a few minor problems fixed. my alignment was way out and the camber was off, and a normal tire center couldn't fix it, so i had to take it to a dealership. they told me it would be 49.50. i also needed to have the ignition coil replaced (which i would do myself... except that i'm at college). so they told me about 40 bucks, which is a rip off because its such an easy job to do... but i can't do much about that. also... the stupid check pin in my passenger door keeps coming out and i can't ever get it fixed right, so theres another 40 bucks. i can live with paying the money to have those two things fixed... but the shop called me today and informed me that my right front hub assembly is really loose and all the bearings are shot. the repair cost is an outrageous 418 dollars!!! i really don't have that kind of money... and i don't have any way of knowing if they are lying to me or what, because i'm really not familiar with that type of a repair. any help or advice would be much appreciated! keep in mind that i have no way of working on my car here... its freezing cold outside and all i have is a socket set. thanks - jeremiah

if the hub is on a dana 30 that price does not surprise me. those hub/bearing assemblies are not cheap. however you could cut the cost in half in you bought the hub assembly and installed it yourself. just have to find a buddies garage to work in. all you will need for this install is a socket set and maybe a wrench and a vise. it is a pretty basic install.

Suggestions for upgrades

thanks for the advice. i really don't have a way to easily work on my jeep here at school though... so i think i'm gonna have to let the dealership do it. i did however get them to lower the price from 418 to 312 because i called around and told them to match that price. i had to go ahead and pay the 80 bucks to have the ignition coil and check pin replaced. how exactly do you put the check pin back in when it comes out? i suppose you have to take the door paneling off to be able to access the little lever that the pin goes through?

The hub averages about $125, so that's $250 in stealership dollars :roll:

It only takes about half an hour labor to change a hub, don't let them get over on you.

i found a hub i'm gonna order online for $96 (and no shipping!). i'll just tell the dealership that they aren't gonna rip me off and i'll just get it done elsewhere. i know that just about any shop could put it on for me for a lot less than the stealership... so i'll just wait and get that done in a week or two. thanks again for the advice.

if you want to give it a whirl yourself, we can guide you through it.. it is not a tough task

INSTALL IT YOURSELF!!
When my wheel fell off on new years eve it got towed to a stealership... they charged me 150 bucks to put in 5 lug studs... and thats without parts! I just happed to have the studs in my jeep which they used. Shouldn't have taken more than 30 min. to put the studs in and put the new wheel on... so 300 dollars an hour? What a rip!

i really would prefer to do it myself. i know exactly how to do it now too. at first i was under the impression (from my hayne's manual) that the hub assembly wasn't a sealed unit... but since it is and is all one simple piece, i would have no problem installing the new one. its just that i'm at college out of state and don't have anywhere to work on it, don't have a jack or stands, and don't really have many tools with me. so i'll be content if i can order it for a good price off the net and then pay 30 bucks to get it put on somewhere. thanks for all the help though.

Back