heim joint + grease = ??

LGR

So..I'm driving the jeep like any other day and out of no place comes this squeak...some real serious squeakage coming from what's got to be my heim joints on my upper or lower control arms in the rear. After I got me a BMT from Subway I said lemme jump up on the bumper and see if it squeaks..sure enough it did..but the girlfriend was no help to figure out where the squeak was coming from..and could she hop up and down on the bumper for me? noooo. so..i'm going to assume its the heim joints or some joint back there. Is it okay to grease them up? I never heard anyone do it and there is no rubber like on the stock ones or any grease fittings. I don't want to go gunking them up and cause a problem.

Questions for your opinions?

I have one or two ideas, Maybe a little 10W40 on there. metal on metal lubrication, or some litheum grease (white colored stuff). Those are the best I could come up with, not a TJ expert

yeah i could try the WD but that'll only last a week and i'll have to hit it all the time. looking for a long lasting grease...never really used that white stuff.

well there are bushing for the upper and lower control arms, if there stock they shouldnt be bad yet, it could be your coil springs, theres a rubber pad on the spring plate, and they wear out all the time and squeak, but as for the control arms, if theres a greas fitting then you can greas them if there isnt and its deffinatly the control arms squeaking then your going to have to change them...

change the arms? its the heim joints on the control arms from a skyjacker doubel flex kit..seems crazy that if they squeak i should change out the arms insted of oil or grease on them.

no i dotn mean the arms i mean the bushings, you can change them with greasable joints and lube them regularly

my joints don't have bushings..just two metal sleave type things that sit in the heim joint. i'm sure grease or oil can't hurt. its only metal..i'll clean the gunk every now and again too.

NO not wd40, 10w40 motor oil. Also some assembly lube. I am trying to think of lubrication for metal on metal friction surfaces.

The white lithium grease mentioned above is the good stuff. It comes in an aerosol can and sticks pretty good. It will last more than a week. Hit the bushings and heims with it until the squeak stops.

all over that white lithium grease like a bad rash. thanks guys!

Back