Headlight "problem"

TommyW

My wifes 88 Cherokee seems to have a wierd headlight problem, they will stay on for a few minutes after turning them off at times. Only the headkights do this, none of the other lights, and it wont do it all the time, just whenever it feels like it. Any suggestions ?

Does the jeep have a delay headlight system. You know the kind that stays on for a few seconds till you can get in the house if so the delay unit may be going bad and need replaced. If not it would seem to be a switch problem. tug

Nope, it doesnt have a dalay feature (at least none that I know of) I bought it used about a year ago, and had no papers on options listed that i could check out

It´s pretty easy to check if you have a delay. Start the motor, turn on your headlights, turn the key off, turn off your headlights (after removing the key). Lights still on? If yes wait a minute or two and they will go out.
Turning out the lights, before you stop the motor and remove the key, will turn them off immediatley.

Hi,

It is very likely you've got the headlamp delay feature. All this is is a little time delay module installed to keep the headlamps on after turning the ignition off.

Look under the dash between the brake and clutch pedals. If you see a square metal box with four or five wires attached to the plastic dash piece, then you have the delay feature.

-Nick :!:

re

Yeah, mine's got that delay too and it confused me when I first got it. Sometimes they would stay on and sometimes not. Turns out sometimes I turned the lights off before the key and sometimes not.

Exhaust Me

Well, now i feel like a complete idiot, it turns out it was just the headlight delay. But at least one saving grace, it is my wifes jeep, and i only drive it one or two times (usually when it needs gas)
Thanks to all for the help

The first couple of times that happened with my wifes XJ, I walked around the Jeep, saying what the truck and scratching my head.

MudderChuck said:
I walked around the Jeep, saying what the truck

LOL
image-missing.png

-Nick :!:

Back