Headed to Moab...making a checklist

Jeepgnome

Hello everyone. I'm somewhat new here and haven't properly introduced myself. I'm jeepgnome from Boise Idaho. Anyway, I'm not as technically knowlegable as some of you seem to be (the most I've ever done is replace engine parts like water pump, radiator, rear bumper...). I've got a '94 yj inline 6 automatic that has a suspension lift (2-3 inches done by previous owner).

Anyway, I'm headed to Moab with a friend that has a 2000 tj that's really loaded with extras, and I plan to get my jeep ready this weekend. I'm thinking of all the little things I can do to prepare for the trip like:
Oil change, oil/air filters changed, grease the zerks, check fluids, wash and wax (hasn't been washed since last summer)...etc.

Also, the lift that the previous owner put on is just fine, except I don't think he extented the brake lines. It hasn't been a problem because my sway bars have never been disconnected, but what if I was going to try and disconnect them in Moab for a few trails?

Any thing else that you would recommend checking/changing out? Keep in mind, I don't have lot's of money to throw around and I'll be towing my 8ft pop-up tent trailer down there.

Thanks in advance.

Also as a side note...how do you post a pict. on here? I see that some people can do it in their posts, but I don't seem to know how it's done. I'd like to post a pict. of my jeep sometime.

Rough Country 3" on a YJ?

Maybe I've asked too many questions in one post...let me try this.

What kind of vital checklist would you recommend before driving 10 hours and towing a small pop-up trailer to Moab?

Thanks.

Besides the basics, I would take a spare serpentine belt, spare u joints, and water. Make sure all your wires and connectors are in good shape, make sure you have a good working jack and tools, fire extinguisher, etc. Then put in Dana 60s with ARBs and 4.88's (Joking). I have a 2.5 inch lift on my YJ and with the sway bar disconnected and the rear track bar removed i have not had issues. If you have not done so I would remove the rear track bar before you head down there, you get much better rear wheel travel. When I do my SOA i am going to extend the lines, but there is no need to do so with a small lift, and if they are tight you can just relocate the hard line mounts a little lower.

I would not think the break lines would be a problem with a 2-3" lift. I would recommend getting recovery equipment (tow hooks, strap and so forth.) I think what you need to take depends on what kind of trails you are going to do. If you are doing anything hard I would probably throw some U Joints in your tool kit. Oh make sure you have a tool kit, first aid kit, full sized spare. It is getting warm so make sure you have lots of water and sun screen as well. I am sure I am forgetting a lot of things but that is all I can think of. Oh I would deffinatly disconnect the swaybar it makes a huge differance.

Thanks laneiac and avyoung.
I do have recovery equipment, fire extiguisher, tool kit...etc. But I do need to get a full size spare...I'll do that today.
I definately feel better about disconnecting now, I'll test it out this weekend and make sure the brake lines are fine, if not I'll lower the mounts.
I never thought about u-joints or serpentine belt replacements...thanks, that's the input I was looking for.

Make sure you take lots of pictures and post them. You can host on imagestation.com and do an album that also.My sig is from Kane Creek in moab. Let me know what trails you do. I want to go down so bad and I was just there in Feb.

I will take lots of picts! This will be my 4th time down there. My friend with the tj went the first two times and got me hooked on jeepin', so the third time I bought my own jeep and took it down there. This will be the first time towing a tent trailer though. Departure is a week away and I cant wait!
image-missing.png

When I am down in Vegas me and my gal talked about leaving early and heading up to Moab for a night or two of camping. Wish I could just go spend the whole week in Moab.

Back