Ground wire burned

B'ham Jeeper

Hey guys need some help. I have a friend that has a 78 CJ-7 and it looks like the electronic ignition fried.

He is what he has:

’78 CJ-7, AMC original 304 v8. Someone put an aftermarket electronic ignition and removed the points. The box failed and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately it isn’t marked at all, no make or model. Just a grey metal box with poured solid black gook on the back. Has two connectors hanging from it, one is for power and remote. Other is to the coil and distributor.

Ok now the question is what does he replace it with? Is there generic or some quick fix for this?

Thanks....

I'll bet the distributer has a name or number on it somewhere that you can
trace, then anyone that carries it should be able to tell you what you need.

Hey guys need some help. I have a friend that has a 78 CJ-7 and it looks like the electronic ignition fried.

He is what he has:

’78 CJ-7, AMC original 304 v8. Someone put an aftermarket electronic ignition and removed the points. The box failed and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately it isn’t marked at all, no make or model. Just a grey metal box with poured solid black gook on the back. Has two connectors hanging from it, one is for power and remote. Other is to the coil and distributor.

Ok now the question is what does he replace it with? Is there generic or some quick fix for this?

Thanks....

I think you are looking for a Motorcraft ignition control module:
image-missing.png
[/IMG]

I don't have a v8 but I burned up a couple of the cheap ICM's after I did the Nutter/ TFI upgrade. I have had good luck with the Niehoff brand (Advanced Auto Parts P/N FF402CS) about $30. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Yep that was it exactly!

Now as soon as he gets his battery charged back up and makes it down to the court house to get a title...we might get to go riding.
I know his wife is ready to go check out some trails and I really don't want to hit any trails alone.... so I keep giving him a hard time to get it up and running.

Thanks again for the help.

Back