GPS

avyoung

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good GPS unit? I would like something I can download Topo maps. I also need as cheep as Possible.

I use the Garmen venture series handheld works great for me....

I have a Garmin ...................Uh?? $169 Something little green. It has a 8mb download capability, but I have never used it. It works greats.
Last time I used it on my bike it shut off by itself twice. That has me concerned but haven't look into whether I set it up wrong or if it is having fits.

Hello avyoung,

I second Darrin’s @ ECOR recommendation. You should be able to find a suitable GPS within the Garmin product line.

I have a Garmin GPS in my boat, and that GPS unit has served me well. I prefer, however, to plot on a paper nautical charts. No prudent sailor would rely solely on electronic navigational gizmos – nor should a hiker, nor should an off-roading Jeeper.

I was going to give you a hyper-link to a Boats-US store in Salt Lake City because those stores usually have an extensive display of GPS toys. I just checked the Boats-US store-locator web page for a store near you.

Surprise!!! There isn’t a Boats-US store within 200 miles of Salt Lake City. What a shocker!!! Who would have thought??? No major boating stores in Salt Lake City!!

DOH!!!

Maybe I need an old-guy afternoon nap.

Anyway….here is a hyper-link to one person’s opinion of GPS hardware and downloadable topo map software:

http://www.hiking.info/hrecs.html

Regards,

Gadget

Garmin is a great company for good quality GPS units at a good price. I use a Garmin III for recreation and a Trimble GeoXT at work. The Trimble rocks, but you'll have to take out a second mortgage to get outfited with it.

Check this beauty out. I don't think it's hit the market quite yet. A ton of memory, and topo already installed. Under $300 from what I've seen. You'll be on the cutting edge with this. My Dept. will be ordering one as soon as they become available.
Magellan Sportrak Topo

I have the magellan sporttrak map.. good GPS....

i was wondering the same thing. i was wanting an on board gps. one to install in the dash. i talked to a guy at 4 wheels unlimited and he said that the on board ones are worth anything. they told me about the differant ones from garmin. i will be getting one with in the next month.

Frame rusted @ rear where shackle mounts :(

Thank you for all of the info. I found some good prices from the links.

Back