Gotta move my Jeep 2000 miles

captainhook

My '92 YJ has been sitting in Vermont for 2 years and I want to bring it to Colorado. It sits on 35X12.50 TSL's, and is geared for those tires. I need to know what is the best way to get it out here. Will it make it okay on those tires? Is there a cheap way to ship it? Ideally I'd like to trailor it, but I will only be making a one way trip and don't want to rent a truck. Any input or ideas would be appreciated.

Got my lift on!!

you could always fly back and just check the jeep at the gate.... :twisted: :twisted:

sorry i know i'm no help...heheh just couldnt resist :wink:

If it is geared right hop in and drive. I you have to drive to get it you could pick up a tow bar, or rent a trailer (assuming you can get your hands on something to pull it with). You can start the trip and if you don't think you can drive it you could rent something. I am trying to remember how much it cost to ship my parents cars from utah to florida, I think it was close to $1000.

holy close to $1000 batman!! for that much you might as well sell your current jeep, and use the money and the grand it would have cost to ship it to buy and build a new project in your new home:!::!::!:

it was $400 to transport mine from cleveland to raleigh(about 500 miles)
i used able auto transport i believe-did a great job,had it to me ahead of schedule.

My advice...drive the thing out there. Road trips are fun. Take you time, bring a buddy and see the country.

Cheak out Uhaul if its in that area..........you can rent a truck, tow bar, tailer whatever and just drop it off at another location in CO. Good luck

I think most places that would ship it would cost anywhere from .65 to 1.00 a mile. That might get a little pricey.

Drive it. Oh, and bring tools.

Rent a big uhaul and just take th mirrors off your jeep and stuff it in the back. I have seen someone do that with an old bronco.

I'm thinkin I'll drive it. Cheapest place to ship is over $1200. But if any of yous guys see a big tan YJ broken down on I-70 about mid-July, pick me up. My CB handle is Captain Hook.

You are going to drive it! Wow, that is going to be a long trip. You may consider stopping to rest (You and the Jeep) overnight. This will allow your Jeep to recover. Wouldn't it be easier to buy some smaller cheaper tires, put the 35's in the Jeep, and then drive on Home to Colorado? I'm not sure how that would work out with it being geared for the 35's, but if it works , that may be another option.-tjg

Re: What's your favorite model and year Jeep?

Uhaul will rent a vehicle trailer (the jeep is driven up on the carrier). You then pull it with your other vehicle. My problem now is that they won't rent to anyone with a ford explorer....

buy some thinner 35s if you drive it... that way the ratio matches and you save alot of gas, less tire to push. I would trailor it myself, I like sullys idea!

Buying more 35's just for the trip would probably be a little spendy. I would just try and find some really cheap, smaller tires that you could put on it (like 31's). Those swampers will be a pretty rough ride, and use up a lot of fuel. I would plan on making many stops, along with staying over night at some point. Be sure to also bring some tools if you can, along with a few spare parts (u-joints, etc).

Just a little FYI for you. You will NOT be able to put your Jeep on ANY rental (U-Haul, Penske, etc) with 35 inch tires. Trust me. The 31 BFG/ATs on Jeepzilla just made it. It pulled very well behind the 26' box truck though at 70 mph. Not to put anyones ideas down, but putting the Jeep in the back of the truck is, in my opinion, a VERY bad idea. First of all there are no tie down points in the floor to keep it from rolling. Second the floors are typically aluminum and the Jeep will slide around and right out the fiberglass side of the truck. I know that I do not want a 4,000 lb. unsecured load when I hit the brakes hard. I try to not put forth a problem without a solution, so here goes. How about a Jeepz convoy where we either help drive or shadow Captain Hooks Jeep as it treks cross country.

Todd

Re: sold.

PatriotJeep said:
Just a little FYI for you. You will NOT be able to put your Jeep on ANY rental (U-Haul, Penske, etc) with 35 inch tires. Trust me. The 31 BFG/ATs on Jeepzilla just made it. It pulled very well behind the 26' box truck though at 70 mph. Not to put anyones ideas down, but putting the Jeep in the back of the truck is, in my opinion, a VERY bad idea. First of all there are no tie down points in the floor to keep it from rolling. Second the floors are typically aluminum and the Jeep will slide around and right out the fiberglass side of the truck. I know that I do not want a 4,000 lb. unsecured load when I hit the brakes hard. I try to not put forth a problem without a solution, so here goes. How about a Jeepz convoy where we either help drive or shadow Captain Hooks Jeep as it treks cross country.

Todd

I think the convoy thing is a good idea!!! Too bad I don't live closer, or I would definatly help out.

I still have the stock 31's on thier rims. I put them on when it is inspection time. Because of the gearing if I put them on I will be going slower at higher RPM's the entire trip won't I? I was planning on bringing a buddy and making quite a few stops. I put a solid front axle on it, so I will have to take off the front drive shaft, and will do a thourogh checkover. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer to tow it also, but I am in the military and am only given 4 days leave, which is just enough time to fly home and then drive back out. I would have to convince some people back home who are willing to use their truck to make a two way trip for me.

Back