Got Jeep?

MerkL

I finally got FUBAR back from the transmission shop! I didn't get to take it on the trails because I had to work, but it's first thing on my list tomorrow! Just wanted to let you know my joy I have, it's like the first day I bought it. :D

Great News and good luck on the trail! I know I sure miss have a Jeep to go play in. I am looking all the time for my next Jeep Project. tug

thought putting my lift on would be easy...

Well, I took her out today, and I appearently have a clogged fuel filter or a bad fuel pump. It's very strange, it only start sputtering after it's been driving for an hour or more. And on top of that it's always between 30 and 40 mph? Does anyone have experience with fuel filters or fuel pumps in YJ's?

The fuel filter is a piece of cake to change. I replaced mine about a month ago. It was $10 for the filter and about 1/2 hour to change out. It is an inline filter located at the rear on the drivers side, just after the fuel tank. There is a metal shield you need to remove to get at it. If your YJ is of the fuel injected variety (like mine), the only thing you need to make sure of is to release the fuel pressure by taking off your gas cap, unhooking your battery, and releasing the pressure from the test port valve located on the fuel line rail in the engine compartment. Don't know about the fuel pump. If you have a Haynes manual the fuel filter change is described there, which is what I used. Good luck.

Get a fuel pressure tester and see if you around 32 psi, if so it is good. If oit is lower, you need to drop the tank (not hard) and replace it.

Where do I test the fuel pressure at? I'm going to change the filter out, b/c it probably hasn't been done since being new. If I can just find out where to test it, I'll have this thing nipped in the bud :mrgreen:

Advance Auto and Pep Girls has one. It is a very easy job of testing it too.

Back