Getting mynew bumper! What do I do to it?

If you go drive threw a lot of brush and dont want scratches I would use some bed liner product.If you stay on the pavement most of the time you could rattle can,or spray it.

Bed liner= probably won't have to mess with it again, may not be the look you want
Rattle can= not very durable, but easy, inexpensive touch-up
powder coat=probably won't have to mess with it again, but most expensive option

I vote= rattle can.

If you run a lot of mud, I strongly recommend linining it. I used Stone Lining or something along those lines for the rear one. My rear bumper is also a JCR one, and at the time, you could have it lined by them. In all honesty, I dont like that lining at all, as it peels when you use the HiLift. But for the front (hanson) and rockers (A to Z) I went with Line X, and love the end result. I would highly recomend Line X for the bumpers, as it is TOUGH! It is not cheap, but it will protect VERY WELL agains rust, and it is very resiliant to scratching.

I am pretty sure that Rhino and Line-X have life time warrantys. That might be a good option if you plan on beating it up much. I've heard of whole Jeeps getting coated, and Rhino holding up their end of the warranty. I would think it would cost even less if you took it to them before it was mounted. It would cut down on labor for sure, and the back side would get a good coat.

I am pretty sure that Rhino and Line-X have life time warrantys. That might be a good option if you plan on beating it up much. I've heard of whole Jeeps getting coated, and Rhino holding up their end of the warranty.

Here's a Line X'ed Jeep pic (not exactly my cup of tea, though):

DSC00144-1.jpg

DSC00145-1.jpg

DSC00146-1.jpg

DSC00147-1.jpg

I would think it would cost even less if you took it to them before it was mounted. It would cut down on labor for sure, and the back side would get a good coat.

That's what I did, and it does cost less (no laber to take off and mount later), and you do get a better coating. Both my Hanson front bumper and the rockers were COMPLETELY covered in the thing!

Here's a pic of the front of my Jeep:

DSC00152-1.jpg

DSC00156-1.jpg

I do wnat to warn you, though, that to get ALL the mud out of this surface, you need to pressure wash it, as because of the porosity, it is hard as nails to get it all out.

Felipe

primer, then spray paint. if you plan on wheeling, it's gonna get some rock rash, cheap paint is cheap to fix. just make sure the metal is rust free and clean, wipe the bumper down with 70% iso-alc or MEK to prep for primer, that is what will keep it from rusting.

Back