Getting Deployed...WITHOUT MY JEEP!!!!!!

sarge

I will soon be leaving my poor Jeep unattended for awhile (at least 6 months) and need to know what tips ya'll might have for preparing it for this. I know I should disconnect the negative battery terminal and possibly add an additive to the fuel to keep it "fresh", but what else? I am concerned about dry rot of the tires; it will be stored on concrete, but be exposed to the elements. Also what should I do when I return, change which fluids, etc. [addsig]

disconnect the battery, put it on a battery tender. then drain the oil, antifreeze, and fuel BEFORE YOU GO! this way it won't get gunked up... and simply re-fill when you get back. [addsig]

Hey Sarge this is a good start. If you do all this make sure to leave a list in plain view so nobody will try to start it up while you are away. Might not hurt to tarp it! Better yet do you have anyone you can trust to start it up every week or so to keep it loose. Most importaint be real carefull and know people here send our prayers for you and our thanks to you for your service. God speed over where ever you got to be. Or there is a second thought send it here and my wreckless 17 year old can drive it for you untill you get back
image-missing.png
Tug[addsig]

I think some of it depends on where you are leaving your Jeep. If you are in a warmer climate, it would be different.

Contrary to popular belief, I have heard and always FILLED my Camaro/vehicles when putting it up for storage. Additive to the tank on the way home from that last fill up to shake it up and then park it. The reason for this being that if you leave your tank on empty, unless you get every last little bit out of it, it will have gas in it still. This equals moisture which will eventually equal rust on the inside of your tank. If you have the tank filled, there is a lot less room for air in the tank which means less evaporation again reducing moisture content in the tank. This is what I have found out from many hours of research on the web and asking many opinions on what to do for a vehicle in storage. EVERYTHING I have read said to FILL the tank...., but that is just my $.02

As for the vehicle, I would buy a car cover for it, and put something over the tires to try and keep the sun off of them. If its a hardtop I would crack the windows ever so slightly to get some air movement.

Also- put something over all your 'holes', as in exhaust, intake ect... to prevent animals from deciding to make a new home in your Jeep while you are gone.

Hope that helps-

[addsig]

Sarge check on the place where you´re storing, if it´s a Gov. contract, many of them start and run them once a week. Gas stabilizer, isn´t a bad idea. Wax everything (even the plastic windows and tires) over inflate the tires a touch (max inflation on side of tire) helps prevent flat spots. If there is a chance it´s going to be longer, a quarter cup of oil dribbled down the carb or TBI (avoid the injectors) or whatever at about 2000 RPM will leave a coat of oil, on most things, that can rust, stuff a rag in the exhaust and unhook the battery. Makes restarting a pain, may have to clean the plugs. I used to give mine a good bath with wash and wax, inside the engine compartment, underneath everywhere. Then a good coat of rub on, to all the shiney surfaces. Bring some tools and a fresh battery, when you go to pick her up, drive her for a couple of weeks and change out the fluids. Worked for me.

If the contractor starts them, they often take a jumper battery with them, if they get the poles confussed, it can kill a computer (been there done that) conspiciously marking the plus pole might save you a headache.[addsig]

Thanks for the ideas. A battery tender would be nice, but its not going to be anywhere near an outlet. I'm pretty sure that its just going to be in our motorpool with some concertina wire around 'em, and I don't think that they will start them. As far as weather goes, its going to be in the cold and snow so I'll try to get a cover before I go.

[addsig]

you should probably use some engine storage spray on the cylinders to kind them from corroding!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

First things first I wish you the best and I will pray for a quick healthy return of all who must leave. When I left for the storm in '90 we were given a 15 min notice after returning from weekend liberty, on monday morning. I had a feeling that we were leaving on friday afternoon when we didn't shut down the engineroom, USS South Carolina. I drove from Virgina to NJ on friday drank all day sat. and on sunday drove to the gas station filled it up and dropped a can of stabilizer in the tank, drove home removed the plates,disconnected the battery, put it in gear NO PARKING BRAKE (don't want it to lockup)and put the battery in my dads garage. 7 months later I got a ride to dmv registered/insrured,got a ride to nj and put the battery in the car she started right up and ran fine. My parent lived on salt water and I had no problems with rust or anything else. I wish you a quick safe return and the best of luck.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back