Front axle a no go in snow!

killerb7854

I've had my 91 xj for about six months now. It's my first 4x4 and I'm lovin it! Tearin down snow coverd roads is so nice 4x4 seems to work great...........However, when I pull in a driveway with a little snow (just up to the frame maby a little less) I start having problems. When I lose momentum the rear wheels start to slip the front axle seems to dissengage. I cant feel any power coming from the front end and the front wheel's don't move at all, leaving me stuck half the time :x. It does this in both 4hi and 4lo.

When I drive it in 4wd I can feel it on tight turn's. I can also hear the gears in the front diff churning away when driving (don't know if this is good, makes a slight whiining but I thnk that is the least of my probs).I have tried driving in 2wd in the snow and the control is a lot worse. So I know it does work when driving.

The problem is deep snow when stopped. when I'm stuck and I shift back and forth between reverse and drive it seem's like the front engages immediatly after I shift, (this helps to get it rockin and Sometime's I can get myself out). I can push on the gas ever so slightly after i shift and it feel's like the front wheels are gripping but as soon as the rear starts to slip the front wheels seem to stop.

I have read almost all the posts dealing with the front axle vacume system and that seems like where I should start. I talked to a friend that is into 4x4"s and he says vacume as well. I have also looked at the home made posi lock system that tug has posted time and again and I think that would solve my problems if it is vacume. I like the mod, it makes alot of sense and I think I will do it in the future even if that isn't my current problem.

A question I have is, if I have it in 4wd when I am driving around and then unhook the vac lines going to the front diff where the engaging device is should it stay in 4wd? or will no vac at all make it worse? I know this would be a pain in the butt every time I wanted to shift in or out of 4wd but we just got 2 feet of snow today and I don't wanna get stuck in any driveways! I think I'm gonna try it, I dont think It could hurt, I hope.

Any Ideas would be great. I haven't messed with it to much, just been reading. I figured I would throw this up on the board before I go tearin stuff apart and drillin holes and adding cables to my diff locker. Tell me what you think. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

The noises form the front axle might be worn or bad U-joints.

As for the vacuum system... I believe having no vacuum will cause it to either stay where it is (engaged or not). However, it wont be held in that position by anything (no vacuum will be pushing or pulling on the vac. motor), so there is a good possibility that the shift fork could start to move and even get stuck. So I wouldn't recommend it unless you just do it once to verify if it's a vacuum probem or not.

Another possibility is that your transfer case linkage is not adjusted properly, and is slipping out of the 4x4 positions. You'll see a bolt on the linkage which is used to adjust it. Make sure this bolt is tight.

-Nick :!:

Back