From Little Rock,AR. New to Jeepz, and I dont even own one... yet

Conrad906

Hey y'all. I'm at one of those junctures in life where you get a fever, and the only thing that will cure it is More Cowbell (or possibly a cheap JEEP...) I'm leaning towards the Jeep.

Anyways, I wanted to creep around on here for a few days and learn what I could so I wouldn't be that ******* asking dumb questions... although that's inevitable.

My main one, and most important right now is: What should I look for in a high mileage jeep (either problems, or signs things are good). I don't want to spend more that 7 or8... the lower the better. But I want something that isnt a project right out of the gate.

Any help ya'll can give me would be great. Oh, and when I find a couple I want opinions on... do I just post in the CJ/YJ/TJ forum?

Hey y'all. I'm at one of those junctures in life where you get a fever, and the only thing that will cure it is More Cowbell (or possibly a cheap JEEP...) I'm leaning towards the Jeep.

Anyways, I wanted to creep around on here for a few days and learn what I could so I wouldn't be that ******* asking dumb questions... although that's inevitable.

My main one, and most important right now is: What should I look for in a high mileage jeep (either problems, or signs things are good). I don't want to spend more that 7 or8... the lower the better. But I want something that isnt a project right out of the gate.

Any help ya'll can give me would be great. Oh, and when I find a couple I want opinions on... do I just post in the CJ/YJ/TJ forum?

Hi and welcome here.

Yes to all your queries. There are tons of folks here, all, very versed in all marks of Jeep and love to help others, so DO NOT BE SHY-- and post any questions, comments, ideas, inquiries you may have. That probably is the 2nd most important feature here at this site, which happens to be one of the best on the net, IMHO!

For me, I have been Jeepin', as we say, since 1967, with a 1944 military Jeep MB as my first. I've had 26 Jeeps since, over these 46 years.

My latest is VEX, a 1983 CJ7 that is my DD and I use in the field as well. It has 1,187,400+ miles on it on its 5th inline 6 cyl. engine. It is set up for export so is a little different than most domestic Jeeps, by a little.

Here is a few photos of mine, to help you some:

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

So, answering you on topic, what might be the easiest for you is to shop here, online, and offline for a used, clean, CJ7. This will knock the cost down and if it has been taken care of pretty well, they are pretty low maintenance and are fairly simple to keep up and learn from.

If you want to spend more money and take advantage of more modern outfitting, a first year used TJ would be good.

If you get bitten by the Jeep bug, as we all do, you will want to dial up your rig, whatever you get, to be a very competent off and on road rig.

Hope this is helpful and join in and ask away.

Best wishes and again, welcome here to this site.

Robert

Back