From Cherokee to Wrangler

Robert H

I have had 4 Cherokees 76,89,95,& 96 , looking to buy my first Wrangler. I'm not a serious off road driver just a once in awhile snow , ride down the beach or a plowed field here in NC so a stock Wrangler will be ok.It will be a daily driver & used not a new one, maybe 95-05 model. There sure are alot of models & packages to choose from. I like the 4.0 motor & want a 4x4 with automatic transmission. Two questions. What do you recondmend? & Can one person remove & install a hardtop

I dont have a hard top so I am not sure if you can manage to get it off your self,but i have seen some pulley systems if you have a garage where you can defiantly due it your self.

For the hard top, I'll say now. You really need two men to do it, as it's heavy and akward to move. I've seen hoists that attach to the ceiling that claim to allow one person to remove it, but I've never tried them.

There are also new tops that allow you to remove the center section like a sunroom - they may be a bit easier.

Personally, I recommend a soft top - when I had my hard top I never took it off. My soft top goes up and down all the time, since it's easy and quick.

Back