Found another Jeep....Need help!!

Roundeye

I've been looking for another Jeep...an older, rough-looking Jeep that I can beat on. Today I found one. Sitting in a back yard of a farm house. It's a CJ5 Renegade. I couldn't tak to the owner (he was sleeping) so I talked to his teenage son. He told me that it has been sitting for about a year and it has a V8. I looked around it and it's pretty straight, except for the windshield frame (it's bent back) and the windshield is missing. It has no top or doors (fine by me!). It looks like a late '70s model and appears stock with original (faded) paint.

I'm going back tomorrow to talk to the owner. Here is what I need to know: What would be a good price for one that is not running (so one must assume the worst), no top, no doors, no windshield, bent windshield frame but fairly complete? Also, what are some things to check for like areas prone to rust, cracks, breakage, etc. ?

Thanks in advance!
R[addsig]

man, there are just sooo many things to check... just drive it if possible and look it over REAL good, check all fluids...good luck[addsig]

These are just a few areas that I've found over my time owning and fooling with Jeeps to REALLY look for problems...

1. On the front of the frame near the front spring shackle, check the frame for cracks and such. From fatigue and HEAVY use this area can crack. It is repairable if you have access to a welder though. My CJ-7 ended up like this so I took a grinder and slightly "V'd" the crack (making it just slightly bigger). Then I welded the cracks shut and also welded plates on either side of the frame over the cracks for additional strength. Painted everything back again and away it went. Never have had any more problems there.

2. Front of frame along in the area behind the front tires I've found severe rust there on some of the Jeeps I've looked at too.

3. On the rear of the frame just look for rust and such towards the rear of the frame. Also check the frame in the area behind the rear tires where it goes up over the rear-end assembly. This area seems prone to rust too sometimes. I've got a 1979 CJ-5 that's suffering badly in this area. Guess sooner or later I'll have to find a frame for it.

4. The body to frame mounts.

5. The body itself goes without saying... all of the older Jeeps seem to rust in similar areas from my experience. Side panels (just in front of and behind the doors), rear side panels over the rear wheel wells, behind the front seats on the floor (where it "steps" up to the rear area), front floor boards and the windshield frame. On top of the rear wheel wells under where the roll bar mounts too.

A windshield in my area will run about a $125 installed. The windshield frame? I've seen them advertised pretty reasonable. Depends on whether you wants steel, fiberglass or whatever.

Hope this helps and good luck to ya!

--Chris[addsig]

Well, I went back to check it out and the guy is not sure if he wants to sell it :-? It is a 1978 CJ5 with a 304 and a 3 speed manual. It's been rolled lightly one time about a year ago and parked ever since. It's gonna need a w/s frame, w/s and a tie rod. I left him my number if he does decide to sell it. We'll see.........[addsig]

if it needs a frame... i would pass unless it is a SMOKING deal[addsig]

Start at 200.00 and work your way up...I
wouldn't go over 800.00 for it....If it will
take alot of work... :-D [addsig]

Roundeye, where are you located?
I know where there is a couple of jeeps in southwest ga. that may be good project jeeps. they're sitting out in the country and I can give you directions, if you're nearby.[addsig]

Back