for our wounded officers

OutOfStep

Glendale man gets 31 years for attack on police officer

Brent Whiting
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 11, 2006 10:10 AM

A Glendale man will spend 31 years in prison for running over and critically injuring a Glendale police officer last year while trying to flee in a stolen car.

Richard Ramon Lopez, 23, was sentenced last week after a jury return a guilty verdict on aggravated assault and other charges.

Judge Edward Burke of Maricopa county Superior Court imposed a total of 31.25 years behind bars and ordered Lopez to pay $23,917 in restitution - to be deducted from his earnings on prison jobs.

The officer, David Goitia, a six-year member of the Glendale force, was critically hurt July 19, 2005, while trying to make a traffic stop, investigators said.

The incident occurred at 47th Avenue and Bethany Home Road after Goitia spotted a man, later identified as Lopez, behind the wheel of a stolen vehicle, police said.

Goitia managed to stop the car, but Lopez put the vehicle into reverse and ran over the officer. In fear for his life, Goitia fired several rounds at the vehicle and wounded Lopez in the shoulder.

Lopez continued driving and ended up at a Phoenix townhouse complex about two miles away, where he drove through a patio brick wall and climbed onto a roof before forcing his way into a home.

There, he took a mother and her two small children hostage before police, using a K-9 unit, managed to take him into custody. Lopez was treated for a gunshot wound a dog bite on the leg.

On May 24, jurors returned a guilty verdict on charges of aggravated assault, auto theft, unlawful flight and burglary.

Goitia suffered several broken bones and spend four weeks in the hospital, before returning to active duty.

31 years still doesnt sound like quite enough

damn thats a heavy sentance suprised alot of murders dont get off that hard ... woOT for that justice system

damn, I hope he gets his while hes in jail. I know how that officer feels and I am so glad he survived and only has minor injuries. I thank god every day that I'm still here and I am finally able to walk, though be it funny. I went to the doctors on Tuesday and found out I have nerve damage to the perenial nerve and I am still unable to lift my foot. Every doctors visit sounds more and more like I am facing a medical retirement. I wonder if i could find a job where i could drive a jeep offroad all day and get paid. Dreams, dreams, dreams.

Back