Flushing coolant, 98 XJ

Deanh

Well after a 1/2 hour search I found the engine block coolant drain plug. OK, it's impossible to reach and looks like it takes a square socket, I don't have one of those.

Can I still drain and flush the cooling system on my 98 XJ without removing this funky plug?

Ok if I can, what are the exact steps?

Please explain as if you are talking to a small child.

Thank you.

:-? [addsig]

Most radiators have a "butterfly" style plug that is on the bottow left of the radiator. Are you sure you are looking at the right one? I'm not familiar with the new XJ, but I did not think that they have changed too much. If it is the correct plug, then go buy yourself the plug at AutoZone. I doub;t there is another way of draining the coolant other than removing the radiator. -Al[addsig]

The easiest way to drain the coolant is to remove the lower radiator hose at the water pump and let it drain. If you are really worried about removing all coolant from the block, you can flush out the system multiple times with water, or remove the serpentine belt and turn the water pump by hand. Keep the coolant recovery bottle open while draining.

Also, when you refill the system, it is quicker to take off the top radiator hose and pour as much as possible in than trying to fill the system from just the coolant recovery bottle. Run the heater when you run the system after refill to ensure all air pockets are removed.

-Nick[addsig]

Ok thanks,

I ended up pulling the lower radiator hose and draining it that way. Had to refill and flush the system several times to clear it out, what a PITA.[addsig]

Back