first trip on tires.

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
On thursday I put new tires on my YJ. I have about 5 inches of lift, and been driving around on 235-75-15's with aluminum wheels. I went to AR 767 (15x8) and Yokohama geolanders M/T (33x12.5) Friday I went to NH and the whole way up once I hit about 60 mph (not sure cause speedo is not calabrated yet) I get a nice shaking feel. I don't think it is an alignment issue cause the lift has been on the jeep since april. I am thinking a wheel is out of balance.
Would larger tires cause an alignment problem to be magnified?
Has anyone had a similar problem with these tires. I use to have 36 swampers on my chevy and they would never balance cause the tire itself was just out of wack. I have never heard of this on a smaller tire but could it be this?

Thanks folks!

Johnny

Larger tires can magnify the out of balance. Since your turning a larger radius tire a slight out of balance will show up at higher speeds
A quick trip down to your local tire dealer and having them spin test them at high speeds should show which one os slightly off.
As to alighment ? I do not believe so. check the balance if that doesnt correct the problem.

Thanks for the response, I went back and looked at my old tires that I had on the jeep, and my front tires had a small amount of cupping to them so I think it is an alignment issue. I am going to have that done anyways cause I haven't had one done to the jeep since 1999, I think it is about time! Then I am going to test drive, if problem persists, I will go to my friends and get the balance checked.

Johnny

2003 Rock Crawler Challenge in Alabama

What you need to know is the gear ratio in the rear end, tire size, type of motor transmission and Tcase. I don't know why they (dealership) need to know the motor and transmission but they do. Go down to jeep and give them the info, they give you a new gear that gets put into the tail shaft of the T case. I am waiting to put in new gears and am going to be getting a SYE, so I am just waiting till then to replace. Really not that hard, mild home grown driveway mechanical skills are required but nothing major.

Back