First drive in the CJ7

83CJ701DakRT

First of all, some history. I've had the 7 since Dec. of 2000. The first day I got it I was taking it apart and stripping the paint. I did all the rust repair (typical rust, rear floor and cut and weld patches in the lower body). Well about a year and a half later, due to my $$$ going to a new truck, I have now had it painted gun metal blue. The drive home from the paint shop was a blast. I had no top, windshield glass, lights, seat belts, guages and one seat, but it looked good, lol. I got it home and started putting it back togeather. Once it was "looking" legal I drove it about 5 miles down the road to my cousins house for a bonfire, note that this was in about 40 degree(or so) weather. At this time I still had no windshield glass, that was fun. Two layers of jackets and a hat wasn't enough going 60mph. By the time I get around to going home it was about 2am, it dropped about 10 degrees too. That was the first time I drove it any distance on the road. Well one day I needed to get some gas and was tired of using the gas can to do it, so I decide to go to the gas station down the road. I live about a block from the police station and was running a open hedder too. I went in to pay the guy and a cop pulls right behind the 7 and chirps the siren, I was thinking oh crap! I was listing the tickets I could have gotten at that time in my head. No seat belts, registration, insurance, false /expired plates from my Chevy I totaled, no windshield, no exhaust, plus some other stuff they could have gotten me for. Well I pay and go out to talk to the guy,he didn't say a thing to me. He was hiding behind the 7 because he knew the woman in front of me pumping gas and was trying to suprise her or something, I dunno. I was glad that he didn't notice all that was wrong with the Jeep
image-missing.png
I've gone to get gas 2 more times since then and I always see atleast 2 cops when I go out in the Jeep. Good thing I live in a small town and they notice the citizens vehicles. Well sorry about the novel, but I thought it was a cool first Jeep experience......Mikey[addsig]

Darn good thing you didn't paint it " Arrest me red" That "invisable blue" seems to be working right nicely for ya! where can I get some?

Congradts on the rebuild. Been crusin back in MD with a friend in his 79' CJ-7 back in 80' We were out in, oh snow weather! top down and freezing despite all the clothes and jackets we had on! We finally stopped and put the top up and cracked all his plastic frozen windows!
image-missing.png

[addsig]

heh... sounds like a blast! glad to hear you're driving it again... dark blue has been my trick to avoiding trouble in my jeep too... [addsig]

i put on some of those stealth bomber radar reflective panels on mine. they look a lot better than that diamond plating and they protect in 2 ways(radar and rock damage), plus at a couple million a piece their a real steal![addsig]

Back