Finally finished my tire carrier!

Joopin

Super Moderator
Hey guys, I have been working on my rear bumper and tire carrier for a while now in my spare time. Some of you saw the bumper at the paragon in april, and you also saw my spare float down the river! There will be no more of that! Take a looksee... I had to go test it offroad first!
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

looks good...yeah now ya won't have to worry about it droppin in the river.

Nice job. Where did you get the latch for your carrier from? Does it hold it tight? Reason I'm asking is because my carrier just has a pin holding it in and rattles a lot when off road.

the welds look nice. Nice work. you going to make them and resell ??

Thanks guys, I got that clamp at http://bandsawblade.com/destaco.htm under the "de sta co clamps" link. They sell all sorts of latches and clamps. The one I got holds up to 1000 lbs. model #334... the stainless steel version costs a little more but it's worth it.

I won't be making these for resale any time soon, I made this out of scraps I found around the shop... I think I used it all! oops. Maybe once I get my own garage I will start. I still have a couple little things to do to it, raise and relocate the existing rubber spare stops on the rear door, and paint that lock down that I made.

Awesome looking unit you got there Joop (I mean the bumper) another source for those latches in a company called Carr-Lane and they say they are rated at 2000 lb's

But any who... Looks real nice!

looks nice Joop. How did you go about mounting the bumper? I'm almost done with my bumper, but I have a couple of different ways I'm thinking about mounting it, and just wanted to see how some others did it, and if they like it.

MAY 2 Paragon Monthly ride.

Hey Joop when are you making me one. I am looking for a rear tire carrier fot the TJ and I saw your bumper at Paragon. You did a better job then all the bumpers you can buy. The carrier I have on the YJ broke in one year and will probably be the next tire in the river. I would bet yours lasts longer. You and tom have both impressed me with your quality of work. Theres just something about seeing something built better than bought.

93 YJ bucking problem

MerkL said:
looks nice Joop. How did you go about mounting the bumper? I'm almost done with my bumper, but I have a couple of different ways I'm thinking about mounting it, and just wanted to see how some others did it, and if they like it.

Slee offroad sells a hinge at a real good price!

MerkL said:

Hey MerkL... I used the existing 8 "bumperette" holes and I made a pair of frame tie in brackets as well. I still havn't installed the frame tie in brackets yet but I will soon. Actually last thursday I had to pull out a Dodge Raider that went wheelin' with us, it took us 3.5 hours to get him out of the mud, but it was my jeep that pulled him out and he was hooked up to my bumper WITHOUT the frame tie in brackets! This guy was stuck in the kind of mud that takes your shoe off too, and the bumperette holes did fine. Don't get me wrong, I'm installling the tie in brackets for some peace of mind. I did break the U-bolt strap bolts though... runnin in front wheel drive still!

Hey Joe, were you the guy with the huge front bumper and the dog? Yeah I remember you asking about my rear bumper, you asked who's bumper I had there, what company that is... thanks for the compliment!

2001 Jeep Cherokee Stats ?

I did break the U-bolt strap bolts though... runnin in front wheel drive still!
Haven't gotten around to those traction bars, huh?
That happened to me on a steep hill when my old traction bar (poor design) broke. It wasn't cool sliding down that hill backwards with the front wheels spinning away. Even less cool was replacing the straps on that monster hill with the winch cable holding the Jeep still.

I need help installing a air cleaner assembly.. HELP!!!!

redrooster said:
I did break the U-bolt strap bolts though... runnin in front wheel drive still!
Haven't gotten around to those traction bars, huh?
That happened to me on a steep hill when my old traction bar (poor design) broke. It wasn't cool sliding down that hill backwards with the front wheels spinning away. Even less cool was replacing the straps on that monster hill with the winch cable holding the Jeep still.

Yeah, actually the bolts broke off inside the yoke, not fun... I had a tow up the rest of the hill luckily, cause the raider I just pulled out was about an inch from my jeep... close to breaking his window. The traction bar is next!

Back