fan clutch replacement...

dingus

hey,

if my jeep sits for more than like 2 minutes it overheats pretty bad until i start it moving again then it cools right down again. my fan clutch is most likely bad, if i turn the engine off when its at full temperature and pop the hood, the fan spins with basically NO resistence (when it should be kinda tough because the clutch fluids would increase in tenacity and make it grab, right?)

anyways, i guess i need to replace it... what options do i have? do i have to remove the radiator to get the fan clutch out?.......

-nate[addsig]

nate, we've had a fairly extensive conversation on the merits of electric vs. clutch fans. good reasons for either.

i'm partial to the electric and installed a 2800 cfm flex-a-lite black magic on my 92 yj 4L with excellent results - so far. i honestly can feel the engine 'spin' easier without that fan on the pump. more available hp

changing the clutch is easy, just unbolt and replace. i think the cost of a replacement clutch is around $50-ish. my electric was $200 ish.

go back through the chat a few days and read the comments on the electric fans for additional information.

hope this helps.

michael[addsig]

yeah... so i DON'T have to remove the radiator? i can get a clutch for free so i think i'm gonna go that route...[addsig]

nate, i replaced my fan clutch when i replaced the water pump. i did not pull the radiator to do either. just be very careful that you dont ding the radiator. it dosent take much to spring a leak . get a piece of cardboard and place it against the radiator and you should be fine. think it was around 15 bucks from advance auto. half hour job best i remember. hope this helps. odax :cool: [addsig]

cool thanks odax... i'll look into doing that this weekend...[addsig]

Back