engine rebuild questions @ 220k - 4.0 HO (94 XJ)

dingus

Engine whining (A/C makes worse)

hey all -

well my jeep has 220k on the motor, and she's getting kinda tired, slowly leaking antifreeze (internally i believe)... and getting kinda noisy (valves/lifters). i want to pull the head and replace everything possible within reason to get another 80-100k out of this bad boy... right now i'm thinking:

-cylinder head - remove, take to a machine shop to check over and probably rebuild
-new head gasket
-new timing chain
-new piston rings
-new bearings in the bottom end

so my questions...
-has anyone tackled a job like this? how much did it cost and what else should i know?
-does anyone sell rebuild kits for these 4.0's?
-what easy things can i do to work some extra ponies out of this motor without sacrificing reliability (top priority)?

-nate

With that kind of mileage, you will never get great ring seal. The cylinder is tapered by now and there should be a pretty good wear ridge. If all else is in good shape, new bearings would extend the life of the engine and the new rings would seal better than it does now(hopefully), but planning for another 100k from a rering at this point is very optimistic in my opinion.

yeah, i was planning on pulling the block and having it bored so i can get a good seal on those rings...

RE: Steering like a go cart

if you're goin through all that... stroke it

otherwise... autozone has a full rebuild kit

Back