Engine block decoder

Engir

I have reason to believe that my engine is not the original that it may be from a 93-98 Grand Cherokee and took this image of the block number on a flat area between the distributor and A/C compressor the number is 74OM29 does anyone know of a decoder for this?

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-28 at 07.57.32_29c85482.jpg

I found a thread that said the casting number is on the drivers side behind the power Steering pump this is what I found there.

1722183987808.jpeg

Last edited:

I dont know how to but its very possible somejne did that swap. My son and i put a 98 grand cherokee engine in his 98 cherokee many years ago. It bolted right in

The engine code you found, "74OM29," can give you some clues, but it doesn't follow the typical VIN or casting number format you'd expect to easily trace to a specific vehicle or engine. However, Jeep engines, especially 4.0L inline-six models, often have specific casting numbers that can help identify them. For the 1993-1998 Grand Cherokee 4.0L, the casting number is usually located on the side of the engine block near the distributor or under the intake/exhaust manifolds.

The number "74OM29" might be a casting or production code. If you want to verify whether your engine is from a '93-'98 Grand Cherokee, look for the casting number on the engine block. The 4.0L engines from those years typically have casting numbers starting with "530" (e.g., 53008405, 53020327).

If you find the casting number, you can cross-reference it with known Jeep casting numbers to confirm the engine's origin. You can also check the cylinder head casting number to further narrow it down.

Back