engine blinking

98 Jeep

Got in the Jeep yesterday because I haven't had it out for a while and on the dash I have a square box outlined in red around the engine, the clock & time are also blinking, previously I had coolant censor bad, rear light failure, plus I have no low beams but I rarely drive at night so that problem can wait. I'm really concerned about the red lines around the engine blinking. Any thoughts?

Not sure. Autozone or advanced auto parts will read your codes for free. Just tell them your engine light is on and you would like to have your codes read. the print out should tell you whats up.

I took the Jeep to the garage and they said they checked everything and could not find a problem with anything. Their only problem was all the wiring that is in this SUV. Nobody wants to touch it. Wires everywhere. One of the owners put in a dvd player, they had outdoor lights on it at one time. I'd like to unload it but I like it so much, it sounds good, it's lifted a little too high for me but I can live with it.
So for now I will hang on to it for a while, and ignore the dash panel because as it turns out any code that comes up, I take it to the garage and they never find anything wrong.

Is the shop actually running a diagnostic scan? I would think if they were and found nothing wrong they could at least reset the engine light so it wouldn't stay on.

They did tell me they hooked it up to the computer and nothing wrong came up. I need to get it in for an oil change for the summer so I'll ask them about it resetting whatever you mentioned.

thanks

They should be able to pull a code history if they have any kind of decent diagnostic equipment. The SES light is normally yellow... Red seems like it would be something else, a different trouble light.

Did you get it fixed yet? This happened to my Jeep and it turned out to be the alternator and battery.

That could be it.

I took the Jeep in because I saw a large puddle of something wet under the engine, turns out the water pump went, had it replaced. Coolant censor stopped blinking but I still have the red square around the engine blinking every now and then. They said they could find nothing wrong, and yes they said they hooked it up to their diagnosis machine or whatever it is called.

Back