Electrical/Fuel problems!!!!!!!

sarge

I am having a hard time figuring out why the fuel pump on my 87 2.5L Jeep Wrangler is not getting any power. I replaced the two relays that are next to the battery as they were very corroded and also had the "joy" of dropping my fuel tank and $80.00 for a new pump that is still not receiving any power. It seems to be a problem with the electrical system in the engine, any clues as to what I should try now? Also why would the ground wire coming off the pump be charred/burnt- it is in the fuel tank, wouldn't that be bad? Seriously I am glad that I dropped the tank and discovered that I had a burning! wire in my gas tank, could this be related to the electrical problem or is it something else? I'm hoping for someone to tell me that there is a sensor or fuse or something that I have not been able to find.

Thanks

Hey Sarge Welcome. I had a 87 YJ 4 banger. Loved it very much and miss it even more. sounds like you have a first class short some where. I would trace the wires and replace them from front to rear and back again. Burning wire in the tank is a scary thouhgt and I hope you can get it figures out. tug

Like Tug said, you have a short. It probably has to do with all the corroded relays. Check all the fuses and repair/replace as needed. Another thing to look into is a saftey switch that cuts off the pump during a roll over or an accident. That may have been tripped if you had a short.-al

Back