Dover Air Force Base

LadyJeepFreak

8)

Hey ya'll, just a quick note. I had a really cool night last night. One of my professional associations (safety) went to visit Dover Air Force Base in Dover, Deleware. I'm about 1.5 hrs from there and had never been on the base so I went. I had a close friend called to active reserves last year and a half and he's been stationed there m-f since then. He loves the base so I had good reccommendations. lol

DAFB carries like 40% of cargo over to active war areas. They also house the largest military mourge and all our soldiers come through there when they are killed in duty. :cry:

Anyway, it was the COOLEST! First we went to an offbase air museum that is free admittance. It has a ton of rebuild original planes from WW2, etc both inside and outside. Way cool. We went into one cargo plane there, an older one...forget the number. lol

Then we gained admittance to the main gate and were bussed out to the actual runways where the countless C-5's and contracted C-17's sit. Got to crawl up into a C-5 and sit in the cockpit main seat. That plane is a cargo and can hold something like 8 jetplanes in it. It's huge! Very Cool Experience.

Course, meanwhile this is an active very busy base so life goes on as were there. One C-5 took off as we were all standing right there beside it on the runway.

We had dinner too in one of the officers clubs. Very Swanky. Every single person we came in contact with on the base, both active and active reserve was totally proffessional and kind.

It was a great visit and helped reinforce alot of personal beliefs about the military and our past, current, and future wars.

Lady 8)

Oh yea! Lotsa Military Peeps had Jeeps too!

Sounds like a neat place. Last time I was there I was working with DOD on a project to clean up all the contamination under the base. So my visit wasn't a cool.

C5's are awesome, aren't they? Makes you wonder how they ever get off the ground, especially when hauling heavy loads like multiple HEMMT's.
C520Transport20640-2.jpg

Back