Doors are stuck

ZBTstang

So its time for the top to come down and the doors to be taken off. Well I got the top down no problem. The doors however were a different story. I took off the little nuts on the ends of the bolts on the hinges. Now I was under the impression that all I had to do know was just lift the doors up and off......... Am I wrong on this one? I think they may be stuck because they havent been off in a really long time, if ever. How do I go about unsticking the door without taking a hammer and ruining the bolt, or scratching up the jeep? Ive already completly taken the paint off the nuts[addsig]

spay it w/ wd40 and wiggle it a lot
reggie[addsig]

thats about it... you could also use a hammer to pound up on the upper pin while lifting the door..... if it really gets to you and you need them off... unbolt them, and work with them somewhere else... then lubricate them up well[addsig]

try penetrating oil (watch the paint) then tapping on the threaded hinge pin, but first install another nut just flush with the end of the threaded hinge pin so the tapping (not pounding) is distributed more evenly. [addsig]

and if none of that works, tie a rope to your door, then a tree, and drive away! :) lol[addsig]

I'm thinking the tree and rope trick might be a bit much, but hey it would work. If you want to you could apply a bit of heat, and not from a plasma torch but a small hand held and as mention earlier thread a nut to the bottom and tap lightly as you apply the heat. Good luck nad keep the faith. Jeep Safely :cool: [addsig]

heat may do a job on the paint. . . now plasma, that'll go right through into the tub.[addsig]

if that door hasn't been able to come off by now... there's probably something pretty wrong there... bolts can sometimes rust up or start to wear away... then the rust or metal particles can bind to the bolt and actually fuse itself there and forever lock the bolt into the sleeve.... this happens often with suspension parts... when you finally do get it apart, you're going to want to replace it or grind it down to make sure it will go in and out fine... lets hope this is not the case[addsig]

Man, I thought I was the only one with that problem. I tried to take off the doors last summer, but quit pretty soon after I started fearing I was going to break something. There was really no need to remove my doors, just messing with my Jeep. Good Luck - Al :) [addsig]

stang, where are we? Did you get those pesky doors off yet?

blue[addsig]

Back