Doing a V8 in a TJ??

jeepin916

does anyone know of any write ups for doing a chevy V8 into a TJ? i have droped the idea of a stroker 4.0, since im gunna have to weld and swap the trans i rather put in a V8 and run it carbed, but i cant seem to find anything of doing this kind of conversion, and when i do find something it doesnt give any usefull information.....

Why do you have to weld and change the transmission for a stroker?

Is there emissions testing in your area?

well i have a 4 banger in there now and the 6 cyl mounts are in different locations, also the 6 cyl transmission is not the same as the 4 cyl trans, i have an automatic trans if it were a standard then i would have a problem, so i figured since im gunna have to go and do all that i should just go the extra feet and put in a v8 :)

yea there are emissions testing here in NY but i wont be driving it too much on the street, so i might not even get it inspected

Before you ditch the 4cyl. Can we Nitrous IT ? I have the Stuff here to do it.

ohhhh nitrous..... i dont think thats would be a good idea, considering the trans is slipping and the motor looses oil pressure.. hmmmm how much nitrous? where is the nitrous???

I have a plate "wet" system. and A dry system . Wet 100-180 hp dry 80 hp.
2 10lb bottles

Okay, you mentioned the 4.7 stroker like a previous option, didn't know if you currently had the 2.5L or 4.0L engine.

remember that if you only intend occasional onroad use, you'll still need to get it inspected to have valid tags.

Where in NY are you? I know that only certain areas have emissions. I live in Putnam County and we dont have it.

Im in manhattan or other wise known as the city itself, i can get it to pass emissions but i will not be driving it all the time jsut when im goin off road,

Go to Advanced Adapters they should have any parts you need and if you contact the Tech Dep. they are very good and qutie knowledgeable!

I'll take a fuel injected 4 cyl over a carbed V8 any day.
Where did you get the info that the 4 and 6 cylinder couldn't use the same transmission? That's a new one on me. Scour the junyards for a 6 cylinder out of a wrecked Grand or Cherokee then get the engine and transmission together. Move your motor mounts and hook it up. There are probably already bolt holes for the 6 cylinder on your frame rails sinc ethe 6 was offered for the TJ.

The motor mount perches are welded to the frame, so there's no easy obvious location to put the 6cyl perches once the 4cyl perches are cut off. They'd have to be located with the engine in place, or by taking precise measurements from a 6cyl. jeep and transferring them over.

The 6cyl. trannies won't work on the 4banger, with the exception of using the AX15 6cyl. transmission with a Dakota 4cyl. bellhousing.

Interesting. The bolt patterns don't even match up or is it just ill advised?
I think if he truly wants to go with a V8 then he needs to assess his options and how deep he wants to go into the conversion with adapters. The adapters can get pretty pricey alone when you are talking about matching a V8 to the appropriate drivetrain. I would still suggest looking in the junk yards for a Grand with a V8 or 6 cylinder and getting the transmission and case to match. It would be the most painless swap as far as adapting to what you have. You will still have to weld in motor mounts and probably adjust or fab some t-case mounts, but at least the t-case will be on the proper side. Then you will have to get with the wiring gurus to hook it up. Trust me, however difficult it is to hook up, fuel injection is safer and overall worth every penny.

well i allready thought it thru and i think im gunna go with the V8 i got the trans case adapter allready for my jeep trans to fit the chevy trans, bought it off evbay new for 300 bucks. and with the v8 i am planing on going with the holley fuel injection kit some time in the future, im nto too worried about the carb since i live int he city and i dont do that much off roading that will cause me to flood the carb or anything crazy, all the off roading i do is on light trails and in garbage dumps hehehehe

yup yup i read that a few ppl sent me that but iv been lookin for something more indepth like how will the reverse lights bbe hooked up and about drive shafts and lengths and stupid little things like that.. great tech page tho thanks

I am looking at doing something very similar. I have located a YJ in deleware that has a complet 302 for truck motor setup in it. He is going to a big block with 600HP. I know it was running the YJ, so I assume (?) it would work in my TJ as well??? It has a transmission and transfer case that are coming with it (I dont remember the models off the top of my head!). The guy told me that I am going to need to get some custom driveshafts fabbed up. Is there anything else that you can think of that I will need to run this? WIll the wiring match up to a TJ?

Back