do you tow with your wrangler?

2000wrangler

i was just wondering. i put a hitch on my 00' tj and towed my buddies boat to the lake the other day. it was a 16' deep v. it pulled ok. i could tell it was back there but it didnt seem that it was struggling real bad. so i was wondering if anyone tows anything with theirs? or should i limit my towing? ps. i have a 4.0 auto[addsig]

yes. I tow my 17' Bass Tracker with a 45 HP motor every weekend. I have a 2.5L 4cyl. It tows it without a problem. I can tell it is back there but the engine does not have a problem except going up hills. My boat is all welded Aluminum hull, so it weighs a little less than most bass boats. my engine does not run at any higher temperature than normal.

good luck fishin
[addsig]

2000Wrangler, you should be okay but I wouldn't tow anything larger or heavier. You may want to look into a transmission cooler if you tow on a regular basis, will make that auto transmission last a lot longer.[addsig]

I think wranglers are only rated to tow like 2500 lbs, or less (stock). nothing to do with horse power or breaking power or torque, if it was just that wranglers would be rated much higher.

but its the short wheel base that gets ya. It can pull it, but slowing down on hills etc, the momentum from what your towing can jack knife ya. serious trouble. thats what ive heard...

anyone agree/disagree?

-bj

edited by: BostonJeep, Jun 25, 2003 - 10:55 PM[addsig]

I agree, it definately doesn't take much of a load to push a Jeep and get you in trouble. I think the Wranglers are 250/2500 tongue/trailer if I'm not mistaken. XJ's maybe 350/3500, correct me if I'm wrong, please :-D [addsig]

I imagine a 4.0, especially with an auto, should have
the juice to pull the boat. Like other said, I would put
my worry into the short wheelbase. Be really careful.
[addsig]

Funny you should mention this because last weekend I say a YJ pulling a boat down the street that was at least 30 feet. He wasn't going very fast and wasn't on a major highway or anything. It looked really weird (I wish I had a camera) because the boat towered over the jeep. It looked like it was going to drive right over the jeep. I live 5 minutes from the ocean so we get a lot of large boats getting pulled around here but never seen one pulled by a jeep before, it's a first.[addsig]

Towed my motorcycle every where, mass to Laconia three time last month for bike week (Rode up once). And towed a 19 ft sunbird from mass up to the lakes in NH (Ossipee), but that was pushing it.[addsig]

I have to tow my sons Ranger out of trouble from time to time but never far! hehehe tug[addsig]

I live in Lake Havasu, Arizona so people are luggin boats all over the place and i see quit a few jeeps pulling boats and trailors around. There ussually not big boats , but i would say your safe with anything smaller than 20 feet as long as your not driving over mountains to get to this lake. :-O :-D :-O :-D :-O [addsig]

I have the 2.5L wrangler and I just bought a 17' Key West center console. With a full gas tank, trailer, and equipment, the boat weighs 2400 lbs. I have not yet pulled it with the Jeep, but I know that with my Chevy Blazer V-6 Vortec, you know it's back there. That makes me think the Jeep would have a hard time with it. Everyone says that it's geared low enough (4.11) to pull it and I could use 4wd to get it off the ramp, but I'm not so sure. Anyone pulled this much weight with a 14 year old 2.5L motor?

C[addsig]

Well, I was checking out the prices of rental tow dollies and it seems U-haul checks to see if your car is able to tow whatever you are towing. Well, according to them, my Jeep Wrangler is NOT heavy enough to tow my 93 Grand Am. I am going to have to find a way to tow that car down here. Have any of you had problems towing a mid size car with your Wrangler? I wonder is they will still let me rent the tow dolly even if U-Haul does not reccomend it. Let me know what you all think.-Al[*]null[addsig]

Back