Do water pumps have a pressure release hole?

jeeperwilly

Last night some friends and myself went sliding. Since I'm the only person that has a snow capable jeep, my 92 YJ turned into the "chairlift". Pulling 8 people up the hill at high rpms for 3 hrs straight and never shuting it off, an engine(especially a 4 banger) tends to get warm. By the end of the night(I wasn't driving it 60% of the time) I walked up to the jeep and my engine was billowing coolant smoke. I took a look at the hoses and the water pump, but I cant find where its leaking? Although, when parked it left a small pool of very dirty and dark coolant, no bigger than a quarter size puddle in 10 min. It's never overheated since I've had it and it's been though some wicked trails in the dead of summer. The water pump and thermostat are only 1and 1/2 old. So, if anyone can give me some insight,that would be great, Otherwise, its tear down the coolant system. thanks much guys,

paul[addsig]

water pumps have a weep hole when they weep its time to replace or rebuild them the water is going by the seal the weep hole is to keet water away from the bearing[addsig]

Thanks for the info, Looks like its time to get a new pump. Nice thing is that it isn't to hard to replace.

Thanks again, Paul[addsig]

Back