Do lifts void warranties?

TwistedCU

I have a warrany on my XJ, and was wondering if I lift it will I void the warranty? Is there a law concerning this?

Thanks to SEMA, there is a federal law called 'Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act'. It says a vehicle manufacterer cannot void your warranty just because you installed a part. They actually have to prove that the part you installed caused the failure that is in question.

Twisted-

What 88 said may be true, but bring a lawyer to the stealership with you when you get a lift and then go for service on anything related. They are'nt going to heed your warrenty. I can bet on it.

In my state anyway. I've already experienced this. I had a squeeling in the gear shifting area and didn't take it in until a week after I put my spacer lift on. At this point I had already put bigger tires on too.

I was told eventually that the squeal was in my suspension and that because I had lifted the jeep and put bigger tires on that "that" part of my warrenty was voided and they would have to charge me to do any additional investigation or work to the jeep.

It's still squealing today. I've had nothing but misery from JEEP service people since I've had the Jeep. It's been in the shop a good four times, three for stupid crap. Basically my warrenty hasn't gotten me anything, especially where it counts.

Just my.02 as they say and my experience only.
Lady :x

I took my jeep to get some electrical work done on it..it was covered and i have a 4" suspension lift. they made LOTS of notes..tech found after market lift kit, drive shaft..blah blah blah we'll see about next time if there is one. I'm sure you'll be fine..but they might give you the problem was cause by the lift in some way..you all know how dodge is with warrenty work i'm sure. everything is wear and tear with them

When I did the lift on my old truck which I bought brand new, I was told that a suspension lift and larger tires would void the warranty. They told me that it puts a lot more stress on the whole drivetrain. Instead, I did a body lift which doesn't alter the drivetrain and ran 33's on it. I kept the stock tires till my warranty was up so whenever I had a warranty issue, I threw the stock tires back on and took it to the dealership.

Cut away Fender Flares

A friend of mine bought a wrangler X last year, and he has been researching lift kits to get his best bang for the buck and also no to harm the warrany cause he is still in college, so should something happen, he is covered. Our local dealer told us, a suspension lift is acceptable, and will ot void any power train warranties, the only thing it voids is any coverage of the suspension components (DUH) cause they are aftermarket and not factory. Then he asked about Body lifts (which is out of the question for a XJ) and was told that if he installed a body lift, cause he is seperating the body from the frame, that would infact void all warranties except the power train. should he take it a step further and add a motor lift and SYE, then nothing is covered.
This is from our local dealer, everyone elses is different, and if it is a used car, it is different aswell. In massachusetts, you only get a 60 day warranty when you buy a used vehicle. anything that supplements that is a extra purchase and can have any type of stipulation.

I guess I could just do it and hope it never becomes an issue.

WHEW! - Johnny, seeing that guy on TV was bad enough!!! l&lol!

I've been looking at different lift options and cant decide on wether to do a small one or not. You need at least 3" or so for 31's on the XJ and I'm not sure lifting it 2" is worth it for 30's. I have some contemplating to do...

A lot of it depends on the quality of the Service Manager at the Stealership you plan on working with. Touch base with them before making any modifications and make sure the two of you are on the same sheet of music when it comes to the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act. A good Service Manager can make a world of difference.

I just wrote a long post, but my boss came in and I didn't submit before I must have gotten unlogged for some reason. In short, as a low life attorney myself, the Act was set up to prevent the stealerships from saying you had to come in to their place for all work and checkups to keep the warranty. Now, readinging inbetween the lines, you can have work done elsewhere, but the stealership can say that the outside work could have caused the "damage/malfunction/etc". It would be up to the consumer to get them to change their minds. And if you don't have a good service manager as Bounty states, then you have to move on to other means which can be time consuming and expensive. The latter is what the industry hopes, cause most people will not bother. I have had to go with my parents when their ford was having problems to let them know it's not going to cost them anything, and looks like I will be going with them again in the very near future.

Wow, what a ploy. Bring you relative and say they are a lawyer and it aint gonna cost me nothin to sue your butt. And bring your cousin the ASE certified mechanic with you as professional witness too. Yeah thats it.

The local dealership fixed my 93 Wrangler under warranty twice, with 7.5" lift and 36s without saying a word. The third time in somebody stole my cd player, amp, and subs. When I complained and pushed for them to pay for damages, they asked me to leave and take my Jeep with me(already been fixed) and to go somewhere else for service. Next time, I went to another dealer and they informed me that my warranty had been cancelled because of extensive drivetrain/suspension modifications.

I had a sweet setup with the first dealership where I had gotten a couple thousand dollars worth of work done for free.....and I ruined it over $500 worth of used stereo equipment. Be extra nice to your service manager, he can make things ugly for you with one call to Jeep.

Back