Dana 44 high steering Rotor fitment

foggybottombob

I'm almost done putting a Dana 44 Scout axle on the front of my CJ7. I used chevy flat top knuckles and ford hubs in the usual high steering conversion. I have found that the rotors are too close to the inside of the caliper brackets. I mounted the spindles directly on the knuckles and mounted the caliper brackets outboard of the spindles. Is this correct? I believe it is. Do the caliper brackets mount inboard of the spindles? I don't think the caliper brackets would fit this way anyhow. I can't find a picture of where the caliper brackets mount anywhere online or in my various service manuals. If I have the caliper brackets correct, then there must be some spacer required behind the inner wheel bearing to move the hub/rotor out away from the caliper bracket a little. The inside brake pad will not fit between the rotor and the caliper bracket as it now stands. I checked a 79 4WD F150 rotor at autozone today and it is the same as the one I have so I believe the rotor is correct. Does anyone have an idea why the rotor would be too close to the caliper bracket?

I took one hub off today and obviously the spindle has to go directly onto the knuckle since the axle seal is designed to mate to the back of the spindle. So I do not have anything put together in the wrong order and I checked a rotor at autozone today. I found that my rotors are the correct ones too. So I don't know why the brake shoe does not fit between the caliper bracket and the rotor.

Are you using Ford spindles? I didn't know they would interchange with Chevy knuckles. What are the caliper brackets off of?

It's the standard Jeep D44 hi steer setup for 5 on 5.5" wheel pattern.
73 to 76 Chevy spindles, calipers, caliper brackets, knuckles and stub shafts. These spindles are small bearing type like ford D44 spindles. Ford hubs and rotors. The problem was that I had some ford spindles and chevy spindles and did not know it. The ford spindle has a shorter shoulder at the base where it mates to the inner bearing. The chevy spindle shoulder is about 0.3" taller so that makes it all work out. I had to change one of the spindles.

Back