Damn this is getting expensive!! Or is it?

Joopin

Super Moderator
BAD TINT <grrr>

I just got a quote on all the stuff I need to re-gear my D35 and D44 from Randys Ring and Pinion...

gears for front- $143 Rear- 154 (4.56)
Open carrier for front- $53 Rear Trac-Loc $180
Install kit for front- $90 Rear- $105

Total: $727

The guy said that was a good deal for both axles then asked me how much I was getting the stuff installed for...
I got an estimate for $240 an axle... and the salesman said that was another good deal... I don't doubt him, but put it all together with the cost of my XJ D44 ($400)... and it comes to $1,607!!! And thats before I even lift it or get tires!!! I am doing the SOA myself so there is a little cash saved... I'll probably end up doing it, just reflecting here.

That's great prices, exactly what I've heard about Randy's.

There is a local Jeep mechanic around here that installs gears on the side for about $150 per axle, that's what you need to find. They are out there, can save you $200 or more.

You may want to consider a little at a time, get the gears and sit on them for a while until you can afford the install easier. I know, not the fun way to do it.

you may want to also factor in new bearings for every thing...pinion(2) case (2) and seals multipyed by 2 ( 2 axles) better to replace those things now then later.....i know the pinion seal for the dana 35 ran me 20.00 canadian...that is ridiculus :evil:

Well the first quote to install the gears was $500, so $240 is much better, but maybe I'll keep an eye out for a better deal.
As for the bearings and seals, the guy at Randys said that all that was included with the install kits for each axle. I've been saving up since I bought the jeep to do a lift, so I have plenty to do the whole thing at once. I just have to get used to the huge dent in my checking account for a while!

ever since I bought my 95 YJ my checking account has been pretty low, just ordered some liights to put on my new bumper....i think I'm addicted

I need to regear mine, and a friend of mine is a ford mechanic, there is a guy who works there who used to do nothing but set up gears, he said he will do mine for $150 plus a 30 pack. I just hope he waits till the job is done for the 30 rack.

i have had my jeep for about 2 months. the first month i put 5300 in it to regear from 3:07 to 4:10, rear drive shaft, sus lift, body lift, sye kit, quick disconnects, tires and wheels. the gears was about 800 and 300 to install. so yes it is very expensive to play.

Welcome to Jeep world. Those that own are broke. Those who are spectators dont understand and never will.

My Jeep was 2 months old and only had 118 miles on it when I lost it for 2 weeks and mis-placed 8500$ ( wife still hasnt forgiven me- and that was 2 years ago)

Back