Daimler chrysler and warranty

currupt4130

VT Hokie
Early CJ-5 Parts

I dont know how pertinent this is to everyone on here, but i just wanted to throw it out for those wheelers whose vehicles are still able to be covered under warranty. This is a memo that local dealerships are passing around concerning a fellow wheeler in my local club (www.mpjai.com) he has an 02 rubicon, 6" FT LA and 35"mt/rs. prior to his modifications he had to have a transfercase worked on and a ring and pinion replaced under warranty. now he is having transmission trouble and wants to bring it in under warranty and the dealers are denying it using this (part of this is his commentary and part of it is the memo)

I got a copy of the memo, it's suprising what you can get if you just ask. It states : First paragraph--- Lady and gents. In your spare time go up on this website, we may find sime of our problem jeeps up there signed James second paragraph-----In reguards to this customer, look at the website MPJAI.com the pictures show the reason for so many diff repairs. signed Bob Chamberlain (from casey) Lastparagraph----- Lady and Gents This owner has torn up 4 differentials and a transmission in 2 years. He was warned two diff repairs ago and he slipped into a different dealer. He has been denied and vehicle has been restricted for powertrain. He has been to Pomoco, Quinn, and Casey. Beware you may be his next stop. signed James end of memo You know it's funny, I've never had a problem with my transmission, I did have to get my xfer case " reconditioned" due to a noise and the only ring and pinion set i had replaced was on the december 10 service visit, which from looking at caseys history report , it appears they reported it twice on two seperate claim numbers. (The same relpair!) And it's that one ring and pinion set casey installed that without going off road , somehow broke a tooth on one of the gears. The only wheeling i did after the repair was when it snowed, me and paul cruised around to yorktown. I'm pretty sure the rubee should be able to handle snow covered roads.

here is the link to the discussion over this crap in our club: http://mpjai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.p...a69574f9db85610

Bobby is a very delicate driver with his rubi which i can vouch for and in no way abuses it like most people do their rigs, the commercials drive the jeeps harder than he does. i just wanted to get this out to the jeep owners and hopefully gain support for this garbage that DC has put jeep owners through in the past years

also note that the memo gives only his "hard driving" for reason to deny him service, not anything about his modifications

mods please move if you dont feel this belongs in the tech forum, i just wanted to make sure to get the attention of JEEP owners

-sam

Seems fine to me.

Make sure your friend is well versed in the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act, and to call Daimler-Chrysler Customer Service if he's having problems with dealerships. He may also want to seek legal representation if he feels he's been denied warranty work based solely on the memo or 'pictures on a website'.

The customer service from some (probably most) of the car dealerships is terrible. You spend 10s of thousands of dollars and the least you expect is a reliable vehicle or atleast a few years and good customer service.

RE: Re: Cherokee purchase, what model is best?

It's the best service we will push you, standin' on the showroom floor...
But it's all null and void once you take it out the freakin' door...

don't remember which song it is, but yeah, take that melody... somethin somethin, bangin' on the bathroom door/floor?

I asked them, hypothetically, if my vehicle was still under warranty, and I got a lift put on it, would the powertrain warranty still be active... I was told no, because lifts destroy differentials, axkes, gears, driveshafts, transfer cases, and transmissions...

If it sits in the drive, you might have a shot, but don't even think of hitting a pothole, it's all over if ya do that...

Stealerships will deny you anything they can. They have done it to me and I'm sure they will do it again and to others as well. If you choose to buy a new vehicle and wheel it, you have to be informed and know what they are going to come at you with. Then, its also your choice whether you take it from them or not, simple as that. Being informed always helps of course. Just my .02, not that it was asked for.

My warrenty will be up this year, they are mailing me a ton of crap already about it and I keep throwing it away. I know I will do nothing but be even harder on my Jeep as it ages and I will not spend my money on an extra warranty that they will not hold to anyway. I had an extra warranty on a previous car and never used the thing, it was such a waste of money overall. In this case, its even harder to get your value out of it when you are modding your vehicle.

Lady

Sad, but true, most Stealerships will void warranties if ANY mods are done to the vehicle, aside from paint (even then, sometimes). I can see the stealership's side as to the result of hard wheeling voiding a warranty, but come on, it's a Jeep! It's meant to be run like that, or they wouldn't make'em so dang tough! Legally, I doubt he has a leg to stand on because of the mods he's put on it, but as far as how he drives it, that's another thing. The stealership can change their story if it comes to litigation and say that the mods have voided the warranty.

According to the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act, there has to be a direct correlation between the modification and the failed part. They can't flat-out deny all warrany work because you've modified your vehicle in some way.

My best advice is to get to know your service manager at the stealership you plan on purchasing a new jeep from. Talk to this service manager and make sure you're both on the same sheet of music when it comes to modifications and the warranty of unrelated items.

Every stealership is different to work with, but I suggest sticking to 5-star stealerships and don't be afraid to call DC Customer Service to voice your concerns.

Gets me that Jeep advertises the Rubi going through headlight deep water, but I guarantee they wouldn't warranty any driveline repairs.

RE: suspension

Some dealerships aren't too bad. I had lots of repairs done to my YJ even after all the mods. 7.5" of lift and they never said a word. One night while my Jeep was sitting on their lot, they left it unlocked and the stereo was stolen. I tried to make them pay for it, and in return they THEN voided the warranty "because of the modifications". Great guys to work with.....until you piss them off. That was years ago, but I hear the new service manager operates the same way.

That same dealership sells brand new Jeeps with lift kits already installed. They have a TJ with a 2" BL and 32s, and a TJ with a 2" suspension and a BL that is wearing 33s. They also have a Liberty that looks like it's got a little lift on it, but I haven't had time to stop and look at it. Right before I bought my TJ, I was considering buying a new one. One day while on that same lot, I noticed one of the lifted Jeeps and asked about it. The salesman said he was told to tell people a lift up to 4" wouldn't void the warranty. That is probably the policy of JUST that dealership.....but it's still pretty cool.

i agree with bounty... get to know your dealership's service manager... and ask right out before you buy "if i modify the _____, will the _____ still be under warranty?"... if he says no... they use the word that dealerships hate the most "BYE"... i guarantee he'll change his tune (or she)

Back