Cutting Glass

jay79cj7

Somebody broke my CJ's side view mirror. My parents were throwing away a mirror. How do I cut the glass to fit the mirror housing?

I have this glass cutter thing, it pretty much cuts a small grove in the glass then you have to tap it and it should break on that line so its a straight cut not all jagged. I never cut any glass to a size or made rounded edges. I'm sure that method will work for a rectangle or square.

save yourself the aggravation - buy a replacement - unless you have experience cutting glass you probbly will not succceed, and you can only cut straight lines, no curves (unless you're real good)

graewulf said:
save yourself the aggravation - buy a replacement - unless you have experience cutting glass you probbly will not succceed, and you can only cut straight lines, no curves (unless you're real good)

Gotta side with the wulf on this one. I watched my dad cut curved edges for a curio cabinet he was making once. Took many, many tries. He used a diamond wheel grinder to round the corners, and even that would knock chips out of it. Once he was done, it looked great, but too much of a headache for something you could just buy at a salvage lot. Spend a little money, and save your time for more wheelin'!! :wink:

That is kind of what I figured I would get for a response. Oh well. I might give it a shot, but if not, no big deal, they don't cost too much. Thanks for the advice, as usual!

Back