Customizing the Jeep, Painting Rims, etc

LadyJeepFreak

8) So, onto a better subject than my last one.

I mentioned before that my jeep is going to be in a jeep show in three weeks. I've been trying to think of ways to set it apart from other jeeps. I've seen alot of different things on jeeps that I'd like to try someday but today I'm thinking low budget.

I've seen posts on here (long ago) talking about painting rims black. Can someone refresh me with a few opinions on that? I'd like to do it, is there a certain paint that's better than others or doesn't that matter?

I'm thinking of other things too, like painting the outer peice of my rim and lug nuts red. I'm painting my headlight bezels black, I'm going to do some other small stuff too, my swaybar and brackets, the "W" on my warn bumper will be outlined in red, etc. Oh, I want to paint my tire lettering red too.

So, I have this whole red/black thing going on. I think I'll go to the dealer and get some red touch up paint if I can, to use on the smaller stuff.

I'm going to razor off some stickers that are falling off to make the windsheild look better and wash the interior out some.

I can't decide if I want to wash the mud off the exterior or take it that way. I guess there will be people looking for both clean and "trail" jeeps.

So, opinions? :D :D

Heather

I dont think painting your rims is such a great idea seeing as you offroad alot and any paint would chip espessially black. The only way I know is to powder coat, But like you said your looking for low budget, and powder coating (unless you have a friend to do it) is not cheap. As for the red and black accents I think thats a good idea it will look hot!!!! Good luck
Please if im wrong about the paint thing please someone correct me :)

I think you should leave it alone

They asked you to be in the Jeep show because they like your 03 TJ just like it is. Don't try to "gleam" it up just before and make them wonder why you were asked to be there. Give her a good bath, carpets and all, and take her to the show.

If you REALLY want to paint the Rims use a high grit sand paper to skuff them first.

Were you invided to be in the show, or is it one where anyone can enter? If it is invitation only, I would was it, just so that you don't offend them by making it look like you don't care. If it is where anyone can enter, I might consider going with some mud on it. Not completly soaked in mud, but just so that there are some nice big chuncks on it, especially on the hood.

Forget all the bling, just go get it caked with mud, that's really cheap and it looks mean.

Merely constructive criticism, but I think touch up paint and painting the headlight bezels will look like crap, not to mention the tire lettering. Sorry, just my opinion.
If you really want some attention at the show, wash it, clean the engine and underneath as well as the inside. When you get there, park it on another jeep's front tire. I know you have seen this done, but some people haven't and at car shows it always gets some looks.

redrooster said:
Merely constructive criticism, but I think touch up paint and painting the headlight bezels will look like crap, not to mention the tire lettering. Sorry, just my opinion.

I would have to disagree, I hate chrome, I dont think they belong on jeeps. I have painted everything on my jeep that was once chrome black. It totally transformed my jeep for the better. I painted my stock wheels black too! 8) Looks real good. :D

Adjustable MAP sensor

Exactly how do you paint the rims? Did you take the tire off the wheel and do it? Or just put tape on the wheels cause that's my next project. I like the way black wheels look but that's all in the eye of the beholder.
Mike

Canyon City Tire Carrier

You can just tape off the tire if you want-if any paint gets on it, it's easy to clean up. Sand them so the imperfections are gone and so the primer will stick to the metal.

I would suggest taking the tire off, because more than likely you won't get all of the rim, and you'll have spots where the rim is the original color. And for everyone who thinks painting wheels is a bad idea b/c of the paint, you don't use the cheap Krylon you get at walmart. Go to pep boys or advance auto parts, and get some wheel paint, that is designed for that use, instead of the walmart paint designed for painting your patio furniture.

raptor_pilot said:
Exactly how do you paint the rims? Did you take the tire off the wheel and do it? Or just put tape on the wheels cause that's my next project. I like the way black wheels look but that's all in the eye of the beholder.
Mike

I had them taken off because I was getting new tires that day. I had the tires taken off the wheels, cleaned up the wheels really good. And just painted it. It looks real nice.

lol thanks for all the tips, ideas, and opinoins dudes.

The show is open to public and sponsered by my local jeep club. I am a member but we all pay to enter.

The painting idea iv'e had for awhile and actually its big down here on the eastern shore. There are several people in my club with variations of painted rims and other equipment. I don't like chrome though, just fyi.

I think it looks smooth. We'll see. Thanks anyway though, I like the feedback.

Heather

I think it would look good! I'm no fan of chrome either Sully! Check out that thread Mingez posted, it has the info for the paint I used on my wheels. It held up through some serious offroading abuse!!!

Twisted-I checked the thread and posted to you there. I'm going to do it and I'll make sure I buy wheel paint not cheap kmart paint (good tip merkl). Maybe next weekend project!

Heather

Back