Custom Turbo Setup

mrmopar02

Hey Everyone. I own an '03 TJ with a 4.0. I am currently planning out a custom turbo setup, Intercooled, alcohol injection running about 5psi. I have very little experienced with this year's fuel system. My last jeep was a '99. I am curious if anyone has any advice for a turbo on an '03, If anyone has done it for a similar year? Also does anyone know of an adjustable fuel pressure regulator is available for an '03. The big question I have is do i have to replace my map sensor with a higher BAR sensor or can i just relocate the sensor to the vaccume side of the turbo. Thanks!

Great! Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info. I will send pictures as it is in process and when its finished.

Hey everyone, just a little bump on the thread here, I got my t3/t4 hybrid in the mail the other day and I have been piecing other parts together. Ill be throwing it all in the jeep soon. Ill post pics and keep everyone updated.

Ok, Ive completled the 1st step into the jeep turbo install, It was a total nightmare. The oil drain back tto the pan took me about 4 hours and it has to be redone and I was on the highway screwing around a bit and I blew a hole in some of the flex and it has to be redone too. Ill have pics up real soon and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

This is cool, and I can't wait to see some pics. Is this going to be a trail Jeep?

I love stuff like this... if you need any brackets or mounting plates cut then just give me a shout and a drawing of what you need, I'd be happy to help if I can. I can laser cut up to .500" steel, .500" stainless steel, and .250" thick aluminum.

Nope, this will be a street jeep, I had a N/A Cherokee that went 15.1 in the quarter (pretty good from a 19.2 stock), I threw nitrous in it and before I blew it up I went 14.5. Ive always wanted a turbo 4.0. Driving it around last night before I blew a hole in some of the flex, I was a little teary eyed. I definatly need some fuel tuning, I was running lean in the mid end after 2nd gear, between 2000 and 3200. I'm still trying to figure it out. This is an '03 and there is no return line to the fuel tank and no fuel pressure regulator so I cant use a standard fmu. Im pretty sure pressure is regulated by a variable speed fuel pump. I think I might have to hotwire the fuel pump and install inline an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with boost reference, but im not sure.

15.1 in the 1/4 is respectable from a NA 4.0 XJ. I've had a couple of older 258s that would scream, and once you mess with a good healthy inline six it's hard to get it out of your system. Especially when you consider how reliable they are and that they have a very stout bottom end. Very linear power and they will make decent lowend torque regardless of what you do to them.

I'm excited to see where this is going. Keep us updated!!

hey everyone, I am just waitng to get access to a camera to take pics, I was wondering does anyone know where I can find info on fuel tuning for an '03 4.0? I am running lean from 3rd gear and up. Thanks!

Ok, here are the pics of the first step of the turbo setup. Things here look a little hacky, I am building the kit then when I get it running correctly I will work on the aestheics of it.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj158/tsmotivator/DSCN0049.jpg
-Me and the Wrangler T-type

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj158/tsmotivator/DSCN0050.jpg
- Top view of the turbo and the liquid to air intercooler (the intercooler cooling system hasnt been hooked up yet, I'm going to install it when it warms up here in the freezer we call massachusetts)

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj158/tsmotivator/DSCN0052.jpg
- View of the down pipe coming out of the turbo

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj158/tsmotivator/DSCN0053.jpg
- Partial view of the flex pipe I used, it come from underneath the oil pan right up to the turbo

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj158/tsmotivator/DSCN0054.jpg
- View of the u bend I used that comes out of the CATS into the flex

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj158/tsmotivator/DSCN0055.jpg
- View of the flex meeting the exhaust input flange

I'll be honest the project has already been a major pain in the butt. It is all well worth it. At first I was a little worried about using flex pipe for some of the exhaust portions but I bent it in half and put all my weight on it and it held up and I weigh about 300lbs. Im getting full boost at 2400rpm-ish. So far the kit has cost me about $500. Thats with no fuel tuning. If it was an older jeep with the different fuel and exhaust systems it might of been a bit easier. Im still working the oil system kinks out. It's loosing about a quarter of a quart a week. Which isn't too bad but id like it to be sealed. Any questions or comments feel free to throw them my way.

Sweet man, I'm suprised it only cost 500 bucks so far! So have you gotten any numbers yet? HP gain? Torque gain?

It was soo cheap becuase I found a sweet deal on a turbo on ebay. The turbo is a T3/T4 hybrid with internal wastegate and v-band exit. $184 shipped(I want to note that the turbo is BRAND NEW just as promised by the seller). The flages and oil kit was less than $200. The rest was exhaust and exhaust accessories. I dont have any number gains yet. I'm not sure when i'm going to be able to dyno it. Im running about 2psi. I can't turn it up any higher due to the fact that its running lean 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. But through the first two gears, the jeep is totally different. 1st and 2nd gears run out before I know it.

Pedal lightly until that lean mixture problem is eraticated - blown engines running lean usually end up as "blown" engines if left unchecked for too long of time. LBR

Yea, I completley agree with you on that one. I obliterated the first piston on my Nitrous setup on my cherokee because I wasnt paying attention to my a/f gauge when my fuel pump started to go.

I think i solved my fuel problem, parts will be here on monday, im guna try to have some sort of a video up by the end of the week

Turbo in an XJ on a 4.0L, good info here: The Midwest Jeepthing

100_0610-1.jpg

Wow thats an amazing looking setup. I could go that way with the piggy back fuel system but I'm only running a little bit of boost. I really want to keep it as simple as possible. Thats why I'm going with the boost controlled fuel pump voltage booster.

Awesome man, love the chirp into second. You should do a write up on this if you have the time... I would love to do this to my jeep when I stroke it out.

Back