covering rust on YJ body?

rtoney9

I just got my 2" body lift on and now I have some rust showing on the bottom edge beneath my grille slats. The support bracket in the center is also highly visible now that the lift is on. I was thinking that I could sand the rust off, prime it, and paint over it with black automotive paint? I thought about just making me a line that is even with the bottom of my grille slats and that way it would look like it was always that way. I will also paint the support bracket this way too. What do ya'll think? what is the best primer to use for this application. to seal the rust[addsig]

I had some rust on my YJ body and found some good products!
I used some wet sandpaper, used a Klean-Strip rust remover ( it a jellied rust remover and it worked real good, easy to apply), and the I used some Krylon RUST TOUGH ENAMEL primer. These products work for me on some heavy surface rust! Good luck.
:) [addsig]

Do you think it is better to sand, prime, then paint. OR to smooth out flakes, use soem type of rust converter protective stuff, then paint it? I think it will be better to just sand, prime, and paint? what about you?[addsig]

I'm with j on this. POR-15 then use krylon black semi flat for the overcoat.
:-O Looks great.[addsig]

That's correct....That is the only thing I would do.......
to stop the problem........ :-D [addsig]

Back