Colorado's Chinaman's Gulch

cewtwo

A bunch of rigs under the auspices of Colorado Rock Frogs ran Chinaman's Gulch near Buena Vista Colorado this weekend. We had 15 rigs on this run.

CRW_4042-1.jpg

Mount Princeton looming over the group as we slowly assembled from Pueblo, Colorado Springs and the Denver areas (None of which are close to the trailhead).

CRW_4076-1.jpg

This is at the "Squeeze" near the beginning of the trail. Why go through it when you can go over it?

IMG_0757-1.jpg

Strapping a rig over "Whale Rock." This rig busted both U-joints on his rear drive shaft as he navigated this one. The left hand side is the most difficult line, with varying degrees of difficulty as you take lines more to the right.

CRW_4147-1.jpg

Navigating the "Chute" near the end. Without at least one locker, this can be a terror to drive. The trick is to climb that wall to the left. Last weekend, one Jeep flopped by falling off of the top. This obstacle cost one drive shaft and twisted the rear driver-side shock mount on another. The feeling of the camber is somewhat unique and can cause personal parts to pucker severely.

This trail is rated at a 7. If you take the really hard lines, it becomes much more difficult. Our group had relatively minor damage, but some carnage is always inevitable. Especially when the testerone levels start to build. What we experienced was:
- Trail pinstriping.
- Tie rod ends bent.
- 2 broken axles.
- 2 twisted drive shafts.
- High centering (both minor and major)

High centering? I had to use the hard point on "Double Whammy" to get my transfer case off of the high rock in the middle. Everyone drove off of the trail. Everyone made it home under their own power (although the twisted drive shafts drove home at no more than 40 miles an hour).

As a part of my physical exercise routine, I ran along with the group taking a lot of pictures. I'm often referred to as the "Running Man."

It was a lot of fun.

I was under the Mighty YJ today getting ready to go out this weekend and saw this...
IMG_0760-1.jpg

So I guess it won't be long before I replace my front drive shaft either...

Always fun though, aint it?

Great pics, especially the first one! Looks like you enjoyed yourselves. Running man, eh? Well at least you were doing it for your health and not because your YJ wasn't running ;)

Couldn't resist Mount Princeton of the Collegiate Range near Buena Vista, Colorado. It loomed over the group and made for a great pic.

I have always (so far anyway, knock on wood) been able to repair and return the Mighty YJ!

Knock on wood again!

Back