Cherokee Stereo Question

Raptor660

Alright, so this is probably going to be another stupid question. I'm in the process of replacing the old factory giant brick stereo in my 99 Cherokee with a new deck.

Got the wiring adapter and finished the wiring, got the trim kit so it looks pretty, then I went to mount the new deck. WTF kind of setup is this?

So the only things that appear to be supporting the old giant deck are the two set-screws on the very front of the deck and the fact that the area the radio slides into is the same size as the deck, so it can't really move.

So now with my new trim piece that utilizes those two screw holes, what the heck is supposed to hold this new deck up? The trim piece alone can't support it and there's nothing to mount the deck to inside the opening. There are large gaps all the way around the new deck once slid into the opening, and absolutely no kind of brackets or mounting hardware inside the opening to use.

Is there some kind of mounting adapter kit available? I've been looking online, but can't seem to come across anything. Every other vehicle I've swapped decks on has had SOME kind of brackets or hardware so even if it didn't line right up, it was manageable with some custom bracket making.

see that bolt sticking out the back of your new deck get a nut that fits and run a strap to the fire wall that should help hold in place and also help with grounding the unit .should look something like this remember Im not a artist lol
image-missing.png

Run your strap from ^ this bolt to your firewall

I've seen that setup with the bolt coming out of the rear of the deck. Lucky as I am, this Sony deck I got has no bolt coming out of the back.

There was a screw on the back of the deck holding a plastic cap that is removed prior to installation...maybe I'll just thread that screw back in, and use that to hook a strap to.

The only other thing I can think of is to put some wood or angle rails on the new deck so the overall exterior dimensions match the opening dimensions to hold it in place like the old one.

If the instructions told you to remove the screw, don't put it back in. It is probably to stabilize the CD mechanism for shipping. The last two units I've installed had no support strap in the back, they were/are supported solely by the square ring that goes into the dash.

The ones I've installed had four basic steps.
Remove the ring from the unit
Secure ring to the dash
Hook up wires
Slide unit into ring

Kevin

Yeah, I tried using just the plastic trim piece to see how it did. The deck flops all over the place on bumps and sharp turns. I'd give it about a week before it's ruined...

What was holding in the orig head unit? Is there a metal piece that was surrounding the original opening?

If the orig opening was too big (I think the factory headunit is like twice the size of an aftermarket one), the fit kit should have come with a bracket to hold the metal ring in place. Where did you get the fit kit?

Kevin

Does yours look like the one here? Does it have the little brackes?

kevin

Attachments

• 996510.jpg
    996510.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 228

The original deck was held up by two things: 1) The two bolts that go trough the tabs on the front side of the deck and 2) the fact that the opening the deck slides into is the same size as the old deck, so it couldn't really move.

The two bolts are now used by the plastic trim piece, so there's absolutely nothing to support the new deck except for the plastic trim piece, which it slides in and out of (so it doesn't really do much).

It has absolutely no brackets. Just the trim piece. Great design. I'll try to get a pic of the deck and trim piece I have to work with this afternoon.

did you take the cage off the new stereo and put it into the mounting kit and hten slide the new stereo into its cage? your new stereo has a metal cage that is almost half as deep as the stereo it self. this cage has some wierd angles cut out on it with tabs. you slide the cage in and then bend the tabs out so the cage stays in your mounting kit solidly. then you mount your kit. you will then pull hte wiring out and hold your radio and plug the wires in. after that you push the stereo back in to the mount and put the trim piece on.

Back