Cherokee Restart Problem

jcraycraft

I've got a 1995 Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0l Auto with a very frustrating restart problem. What happens is the Jeep starts up fine cold, but if the engine is turned off before it has completely warmed up, the engine will not restart for about 10-15 min. When the key is turned, nothing happens not even the clicking of the starting solenoid. The lights and all the accesories work fine during this time and the voltmeter reads 12v. This only happens during the colder months (below 40F for GA). The battery has just been replaced and the charging system seems to be fine. I've replaced the starter relay, but that wasn't it either. Its seems like a circuit somewhere in the starting system is not reseting after the engine is stopped. Any ideas? Thanks, Jeff [addsig]

Jeff, check out "Maddeningly intermittent starting problem". MudderChuck has given me some great suggestions of some things to check out. Maybe something there would help.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I´ve seen a few Jeep starters that sometimes do and sometimes don´t (start) for alot of reasons. Most common is loose or corroded wires at the connections. Next is the starter is full of mud. Next is worn brushes. A few bad ignition switches and starter relays. Rarley a bad starter solenoid. And once a bad fusible link, that sometimes would pass juice and sometimes not. A trouble light on the solenoid wire, as close to the starter as you can get, will help tell if it is upstream or in the starter itiself. Neutral saftey switch sounds like a solid possibility as has been mentioned. Sometimes wiggling the shift lever a little, helps if this is the problem.[addsig]

Back