Cherokee Lift Question... help!

mujaman

i just got my 3" lift kit (from Rusty's) completed on my 97 XJ. i LOVE it except for one small glitch... there is a significant amount of vibration anytime i accelerate in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear (i have a 5-speed). i'm guessing its caused by the drive shaft being at a different angle than it was stock, but i didn't think it would be much of an issue with only 3 inches. if thats not the problem... i don't know what is. if anybody could help me out on this and give me some solutions it would be MUCH appreciated. thanks alot![addsig]

I remember hearing somewhere that vibration was a problem on the newer (97-up) cherokees with 3 inches of lift, but not a problem on the older cherokees. I'm still in the process of installing the same kit on my '88 cherokee, so I can't say for sure.

-Nick

[addsig]

You need to lower the transfer case 1/2", that will get rid of all vibes. We had the same lift on our '98 XJ. '97 and newer XJ's need the TC drop to correct for vibes with any amount of lift.

I made my own out of .5" metal stock, real easy.[addsig]

transfer case drops are quite simple to perform.... or you can switch to a CV double cardon style shaft, which actually comes on the front of many cherokees[addsig]

thank you all very much for the info... bounty hunter: could you tell me a few more details on how you made your own drop kit? i want to do this as cost-effective as possible... seeing how the lift (and rusty's new cut out flares that i also just installed) have cost me an arm and a leg. thanks again![addsig]

oh and xjnick... thats a very impressive amount of miles on your jeep!!! i hope to do the same with mine (although i'm only at 107,000). what great vehicles:)[addsig]

I had a piece of metal bar 1/2" thick, about 2"x12".
  • Support the transfer case
  • Remove the transmission crossmember
  • Cut the metal bar into 2 pieces, same length as the crossmember where it bolts to the frame
  • Use the crossmember as a template in drilling two holes in each section of metal bar
  • Buy 4 metric grade 5 or 8 bolts .5" longer than crossmember bolts
  • Use the jam-nut method or pipe wrench to back out the 2 studs in the frame
  • Reinstall the crossmember with the .5" spacer and .5" longer bolts
It really is as simple as it sounds. :-D [addsig]

and it can be done really easy to look really good as well[addsig]

or you can buy a transmission drop for $26.00 and not have to mess around. Drops are cheap
;-) [addsig]

xjnick... thats a very impressive amount of miles on your jeep!!!

Thanks! I've got a big project going on the Jeep right now. After I'm done, maybe it'll go another 400,000 for me! :p :-D

-Nick[addsig]

thanks again for all the info. i hope to have the problem fixed shortly![addsig]

i also installed rusty's cut out flares at the same time as my 3" lift... which give quite a bit of extra clearance. currently i'm running 30 x 9.5 BFG A/T's... which unfortunatly look rather small now (but they were the biggest i could fit prior to upgrades). i can comfortably fit 33" now... but won't go that high cause i don't want to have to change my gearing around anytime soon... i'll get some 31 x 10.5 or something probably. [addsig]

Back