Cheap tricks

Sully

Ok, its time for the jeepz.com cheap tricks. I will start us off.

DO you ever get angry after you have put a 33 or 35 inch tire on the tire carrier? Because when you look through your rear view mirror all you see is tire? Try flipping the rear view mirror over. So far I have only done this on a TJ.

Cut the bottom tabs from a TJ rear bumper and mount it upside down, it will increase your departure angle. It's recommended to weld the tabs back on after the flip. TJ bumper is an upgrade on a YJ.

Seriously, I've been here only a few months, but I gotta ask: Is there anything you guys don't know how to do?!?!?!?!? This place is awesome!!!!

Sorry for the interruption, please continue with the cheap tricks!!

t-case drop

If your changing your oil and the filter is all slippery... what do you do? Some may say jam a screwdriver through it, but I have found spraying your hand with spray adhiesive, wait one minute to tac up, and no more hand slippage on the filter! The downside is your hand is pretty sticky and you need some paint thinner to get it off... but I have done this before on my GF car when I didn't have a screwdriver handy, but I did have spray adhiesive! Not many people have that laying aorund, but in my house, 3 out of 4 people are artists...

Always buy Fram sure grip filters!

I put my belt around the filter and then give it a good tug. It's like a redneck strap wrench. Works every time and you can get a few feet back when you pull on it.
Here's another: never be afraid to take one of your made in China tools and modify it for a special purpose. Case in point...I had a bolt on top of my old Dana 20 case that was recessed in a dimple in the adapter and near impossible to reach with a wrench. You could get about 1/8th of a turn on it at a time. After looking a few minutes I came up with the idea to weld a 6" long 3/8" bolt to the side of a cheap socket. It worked like a long extension but the bolt was welded to the outside of the socket which allowed me to get the socket in the dimple. I could now get 1/2 a turn on it and it was much easier to reposition to get another turn. I used a ratchet on the end of the long bolt to drive it with.

Hi,

For 1987-1988 Jeeps with the Peugeot transmission, I've found that grinding down the square of an old 3/8" socket extension makes a perfect tool for removing the transmission fill/drain plugs (since they require a stupid metric tool which is hard to find). :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

To keep zippers on soft tops working smoothly, use a regular #2 pencil. Just rub the lead along the length of both sides of the zipper. The lead in pencils is actually graphite, a very good dry lubricant. Wax or other similar products will attract and hold dust and grit, eventually making the zippers bind up. Dry lube like graphite from a pencil will not.

Also this works well on snaps, making them easier to snap and unsnap.

Tug, found ya' 'nother one

Tired of tightening the screws to your soft top's windsheild channel? Pop-rivet it on and be done with it.

Hey an upside down TJ bumper! There's an idea to get rid of those chrome bumperettes!

See "Wanted" forum

Stated befor but worth the re mentioning. Bicycle shops are a haven of blessings when it comes to cheap mods. Cable Posi Loc front diff disconect less than 25 bucks. Thumb throttle from the same source "bike shop" for less than 25 bucks. 50 cal US Ammo Can for a good replacement console again much less than 25 bucks. Take an 18" piece of PVC pipe with a clean out cap on each end then strap them to your frame under neath the jeep or under the hood and you have a great place to store some survivle gear extra keys ect... There is a ton of good cheap ez mods. tug

Not to take away from tug-n-pull's idea but I used manual choke cable's to engage axle and transfercase in early selec-trac cherokee's.

A late model cherokee roof rack cross rail cut down to fit a GC roof rack make's a good light bar.

Roll cages and tube bumpers with ends welded make great on board air tanks.

I could go on and on.

easiest way to take a carrier out....stuff a shop rag in between the ring gear and pinion gear...turn the driveshaft untill the carrier pops out.( backlash is usually enough to get her out). this way there is no banging, pulling or prying around those expensive new gears! :lol:

Make your own swaybar disconnects by using the existing solid links but replace the bolts with lynch pins held by cotter pins and washers.

Re: some idiot, and his lies

Drill holes in hockey pucks and you've got yourself a bodylift!

LBR said:
Hey Sparky, Fill us all in on transmission removal tricks. Hehe - LBR

"Well first thing you do is drain all the oil from the transmission, drive it around town for a day. Then hit the highway.....easy as 1, 2, 3."

take off skid plate...thread in one bolt into one side...put a looped tow strap on that bolt and run it under the transmission and over the frame rail on the other side...give you the leverage you need to line it up when installing..

OR

weld up a box and extension onto an old jack and woolaa...a transmission jack that wont slip.. :lol:

I have hundreds of these!

Tired of not having any light in you soft top YJ or CJ, get a rear view mirror out of a late 90's chevy. Mine is out of a 98 camaro. They are a negative rigger light (when ground is made, light comes on) and so if your jeep! and at the junk yard, got mine for $5 with the wire pigtail

I saw this one, thumb thottle is a manual choke cable out of a 78 bronco!

TJ flares on a YJ or CJ for extra clearence, and can be found cheap when they are used.

Need a little extra coverage, find some sahara flares! a little bit wider

Sick of loosing a tail light in a tree, cheap tractor lights or up grade to LED's can be done for anywhere between $10-$40

Ford Taurus electirc fan from a early 90's in a jeep!

Some PVC piping and a conical air filter, instant "cold air" induction (Not really cold but ok)

Herculine you tub, not really cheap but effective!

Cut you factory front bumper for better approach angles

$5 Tractor light from Napa make great back up lights and undercarriage lighting, and are water proof, and if they break, they are only $5!!

Oh ya, marine shops have a coricopia of usefull jeeper parts! marine grade switches water proof 12 volt accessory plugs, you can make a dual battery set up for under $60 (no including the batteries)

I have a Removable snorkle kit that costs 10 bucks + a conical filter. Just waiting to put in on lil'bit.

Back