Can my bumper take a winch?

jackflack44

Could I mount a winch to this bumper safely? If so what do you guys think the best winch is under $300-400?

Attachments

• image-2693764616.jpg
    image-2693764616.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,312

I dont think it can with out modifying the bumper.You would need a winch plate,they attach to the frame rails.I dont think your bumper has the clearance for it.Tube bumpers that accept winches normally have a cut out in the center.

its the same bumper as yours but with a cut out of the top pipes . its the same price as the one you currently have on there. see if someone will swap you that doesn't have a winch. my wife has the same bumper on hers but with the winch cut out but her bumpers isn't really nice or i'd swap you

For the hassle of trying to find a bumper and takeing yours off and reinstalling anouther one,just have yours modified. anyone with cutting torches,hand grinder and a welder should be able to fix ya up with no problem.

those tube bumpers are very thin. you could actually make the cut your self with a sawzall or a hacksaw easily. no torch or welder needed

you need the welder to put a brace in under where you cut it.At least that is how the factory winch tube bumpers are.

Last edited:

xt master said:
you need the welder to put a brace in under where you cut it.At least that is how the factory winch tube bumpers are.

You can fit a winch on your bumper you just need a raised winch plate. I did it with my old tube bumper just like yours. U can usually get one on eBay pretty cheap and if you are looking for a good winch around $400.00 look at smittybilt they make good quality winches, I know a lot of people that run them.

ours just has some little braces under the tubes that i think are on his already. that is why i said he could just cut it. i don't think he has those vertical tubes like the one in your pic. if he does though, yes, he would definitely need to weld some in though

What would I need to cut/weld etc?

Like i said you can fit a winch on that bumper you just have to get a raised winch plate!!! you can get one on ebay for around 80 bucks. I have done it, I had the exact same bumper and mounted a winch on it when nobody said I could.
It will not require cutting your bumper at all!!!!

Technically the bumper doesn't matter, you will need to source a winch mount, the winch will mount to that and that will mount to the frame.

as for that bumper, I would say yes you can fit a winch no problem, as long as the fairlead fits between the top tube and the hoop tube, you will be fine. if you find you need to space the winch up to clear, in the past I've used 3/14 and 1/4" plate with holes drilled to match the mounting holes, make sure to replace your factory bumper bolts with longer grade 8 bolts. I had a friend that had that same bumper with a winch, I will see if I can find a picture

Doesnt the raised plate but more force on the bolts like body lift does to the bolts?

xt master said:
Doesnt the raised plate but more force on the bolts like body lift does to the bolts?

No it doesnt where the winch plate bolts to your jeep is not any higher than a non raised winch plate it raises in the middle where the winch mounts , they are pretty strong I winched a F 250 out of a mud hole just the other day , I have a 10,000 pound winch and the winch plate hasn't shown any sign of stress or bending!!! I don't think you will have any problems breaking bolts or the winch plate.

Well I guess it depends on how good you are with those tools but I guess with enough time and perserverance you could do it!!!

Back